Wasp Trap bait

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to avoid getting stung last year

Do you go around looking for wasps? I've not been stung by a wasp for probably forty years or more and I don't take any particular precautions. The last time my wife got stung was over ten years ago - the wasp got trapped under her dress and stung her bum!

They do not come looking for you just to sting you! Most are stung by trying to swat them away, after attracting them with food.

I am careful when picking fruit, as I swell quickly when stung by wasps in the past. Sharing sugary drinks or icecream with them, at the same time, is not a good idea. By all means destroy a nest if it is likely to bring them close to you, but otherwise they are not terrorists, just insects going about their own survival. Most get stung by panicking rather than panicking because they have been stung.

Bees are the same, but more defensive near their homes at times. Swat at them and they will have stung you before you spot them again! Disturbing a wasp nest is a different matter, mind!

I did try one fake nest, which seemed to have no effect whatever.

I hung one up in my apiary last year. I didn't see many wasps at the hives but I can't say if the fake nest was a factor in this.
I'm told Beverley BKA hung one in their apiary too but I've not heard if it had any effect.
I did find a wasps nest in the eaves of my house, about 300 metres away from the apiary. They were allowed to stay until autumn when they started bothering the family and tasted bendiocarb as a result.

Looking ahead to later in the season, has anyone got any experience of these - or similar?
Look at the entrance block that i made it was free apart from a bit of electricity to power the tool it doubles up as a mouse guard and wasps are wasting there time trying to get in.

Back