Wasp nest spotted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandF

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In the undergrowth, about 5' (currently) from my nuc'ed swarm, and within 20' radius of all my other hives.

Their foragers were coming in from elsewhere, not seen too much hassle from wasps around my hives, and at this time of year they actually help clean up the dead bees around - well wasps in general, not necessarily these ones.

So, should I puff some ant powder into the nest now so it doesnt get too big and potentially cause my hives major issues?

I'm not sure how wide their territory is, if its wide enough then maybe they will keep other wasps away from my bees (and leave me alone)? Will do some surfing but advice/experiences welcomed!

I could have sworn I read that thread last year!

Anyhow, yes, thats why I asked the question about territory - I knew that they were territorial with other wasps, so in that respect its an advantage "only" having one nest's foragers to deal with and not multiple, but I wanted to know if anyone else had experience of allowing a wasp nest to exist so near their bees.

Whether the wasp numbers around the hives were fewer, and also whether they were bothered (attacked) by wasps at any point.

I often walk around my hives without my beesuit, and only kit up when opening them - I heed any early warning buzzing :)

i would let them live and see how they get on with your bees,not hard to lay the law down to them now that you know where they live if they get cheeky.
Darren.

I had a wasps nest about 8' from my hives last year, i didnt even know it was there until the farmer disturbed the ground cutting a hedge they were in a hole in the ground. I left them to it and they didnt bother the bees.

Worth avoiding ant powder; if you have to just put them in a bin bag and put them in the freezer for a few days.

Worth avoiding ant powder; if you have to just put them in a bin bag and put them in the freezer for a few days.

This nest is in a hole in the ground ;)

Got a shovel? :D

No chance! If I have to bump them off it will be a squirt of ant powder into the entrance hole, probably followed by a girly squeal and run back to the house ;)

Wasp nest spotted

I wish I could spot some, I haven't seen any this year and I usually have loads....

...in fact I've hardly seen a wasp or hornet for the last month or so which really isn't good.

Chris

I wish I could spot some, I haven't seen any this year and I usually have loads....

...in fact I've hardly seen a wasp or hornet for the last month or so which really isn't good.

Chris

same here Chris, we usually see a few wasps 'prowling' around under the guttering looking for spiders to take back to the nest, but although we saw a lot of queen wasps early on this season, we ain't seen any for several weeks.

It's the same in this neck of the woods, no wasps about here either, on the other hand, more bumble bees than I've ever seen before.

Regards
Ray

Hardly any greenfly in my part of Leeds this year, so very few wasps and very few ladybirds. Presumably the rain has killed the greenfly. Not very many other small flying creatures either. Normally my windscreen and bonnet would collect a lot of corpses on my way to work, but not this year.

On the other hand, the slugs and snails are flourishing.

Hmm, I see an opportunity here; anyone want to buy a nuc containing a lovely wasp nest?

£300

Bargain!

same in Devon, seen a good number of queen wasps early in year but nothing since...........perhaps they are hiding? In truth they would need snorkels and trunks to come out now.

He's the guy who I buy the bags of white stuff to make syrup from ;)
so he works for British Sugar, then. He ain't the manager @ our local Sugar Factory ( Cantley )

(we haven't had a television in the house for over 10 years, don't purchase newspapers / magazines, and therefore don't recognise any so-called personalities / 'famous' folk) ;)

Latest posts

Back