Wasp nest removal.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntsman666

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I was asked tonight to remove a wasp's nest for a friend from their garden shed. I believe the nest is pretty accessable.

With thick trousers and heavy jumpers underneath my bee suit, I intend just using a scraper and dropping the nest into a heavy-duty bin bag.

I think smoke is unnecessary and will only alert the wasps.

So I ask if anyone who has done something similar has a helpful suggestion.

TIA!

I have removed them using the wasp killer from the supermarket and sometimes with a rag soaked in petrol instead. ( Depending on location due to fire risk) I think even wasps should be killed before being disposed of.

I have removed them using the wasp killer from the supermarket and sometimes with a rag soaked in petrol instead. ( Depending on location due to fire risk) I think even wasps should be killed before being disposed of.

:iagree: Definitely! What were you then planning to do with a binbag full of furious wasps all chewing their way out?

Suit up, kill with chemical. I like the squirty foam, powder also works if you can get close enough to apply it.

:iagree: Definitely! What were you then planning to do with a binbag full of furious wasps all chewing their way out?

Suit up, kill with chemical. I like the squirty foam, powder also works if you can get close enough to apply it.

nah, collect the nest in a cardboard box, tape it up, then post it to someone you don't like!! ;) :smilielol5:

The wasp nest killing powder is very effective and takes a day. Far better to puff the powder in and walk away, then come back when they are dead. If it is a big nest then you may have to do it over 2 days. This has got to be better than dealing with disturbing an angry wasps nest. What happens to all the flying ones that don't go in the bag?

I have done as Hunstman proposes.. except the nest was 20 feet up under the eaves of our house.

If you do it when it's growing dark - about 7pm at this time of year, the wasps will not be flying so you will collect far more wasps and the risk of them attacking you is less.

(I had someone holding a torch so I could see what I was doing...).

Next day there were only a few - less than 5 - wasps around the nest site...

I started a small fire with newspaper, , covered the bag in parafin, threw it on and ran...

Morrisons (and I think B&Q) sell cans of 'Wasp Nest Destroyer' (about 3 quid)- will shoot a jet of foam over a distance of about 20 feet if you don't want to get too close. Just wait until dark (so all the wasps are back) then spray the nest. I've done several in my loft over the years. One can should be enough for two to three nests. Worked perfectly every time.

Back