Wasp damage - do I move to nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SireeDubs

House Bee
Reaction score
Nr Exeter (originally from Gogledd Cymru)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + nucs
Until a couple of weeks ago, I had a reasonably strong colony. I've just completed Varroa treatment and all was looking ok.

Wasps now seem to have decimated the hive into a pretty small colony with very little brood (mainly because of Apilife Var treatment I think). I've found and treated a wasp nest, tried screens, glass, wet sheets even while reducing the exit to one bee width.

Having looked this morning, wasps seem to be going in and out comparatively freely, though very little sign on the frames inside.

What now? Now the weather's changed I'm hoping the wasp action will decline. However, with a greatly reduced colony I'm not sure how they'll survive the winter. Would it be a good idea to move them to a nuc box (assuming they survive the week?).

Thanks in advance.

If wasps are still going in with no sign of bees protecting the entrance, the colony is doomed in days, let alone surviving the winter!

Certainlyno point in leaving themin a full brood box, but reducing to a nuc will, IMO, be a futile effort on its own.

RAB

It could be worth trying the waspbane wasp trap. Google waspbane. These do work well, and bees ignore them.

If wasps are still going in with no sign of bees protecting the entrance, the colony is doomed in days, let alone surviving the winter!

Certainlyno point in leaving themin a full brood box, but reducing to a nuc will, IMO, be a futile effort on its own.

RAB
That's what I thought. :-(

However, maybe I was mistaken before, as they seem to be mounting a pretty brave defence still and wasps being repulsed. Maybe a glimmer of hope, but I may be looking for a swarm next year....

It could be worth trying the waspbane wasp trap. Google waspbane. These do work well, and bees ignore them.

:iagree:

Move the hive a couple of feet to one side and put the wasp bane in its place.

I made up one of these last year but there were no wasps. It remained forgotten in a corner of the garden. It is now full of wasps and I must say having watched it for a while absolutely NOTHING is getting out

That's what I thought. :-(

However, maybe I was mistaken before, as they seem to be mounting a pretty brave defence still and wasps being repulsed. Maybe a glimmer of hope, but I may be looking for a swarm next year....

This was what happened to a nuc of mine and as RAB says they were not going to last a week let alone winter. I moved the nuc 12 miles (to my garden) - a nice warm poly nuc - cleaned outside with bleach/water - fed syrup & pollen patty....crossed fingers & toes....and 2 weeks later I have open & sealed brood, no wasps, and if the weather is mild for most of the next 6 weeks they should be ok for winter.

Well, they're still doing a pretty good job defending against the wasps. I'm thinking of moving them (as above, and replacing wasp trap in hive area), but they're already in my garden. I know the 3m/3mile rule, but I want to move them about 50m. I know the ideal is a big move, but if I move, then seal them in with mesh for a couple of days and disorientate them with some branches etc - chance of working?

So, update further to my original post....

Bought a waspbane and kept a very close eye on the colony. The trap has been great and the bees were sighted pushing out the occasional wasp that got through, so things have definitely improved.

Having opened up the colony, they're still very, very much smaller than I'd like, perhaps 4/5 frames. Theey have plenty of pollen (loads actually) and honey and are taking down syrup, albeit slowly due to low numbers. Queen is laying at a slow rate, but I'm not concerned about this, as I think it's normal (?).

I now have a polynuc that I'm going to transfer them to for the winter. I'll continue to feed and monitor. Does this sound like a rational course of action? Have never had to 'downsize', but am presuming it's exactly same principle as nuc to hive.

Also have some minor wax moth on 3 frames. Don't want to replace frames with new wax, as too much to ask them to draw out and fill now, but think I'll just fill the nuc with unaffected frames from current brood box, and treat those affected before storing. Again... Is this rational action?

The bees seem really rejuvenated now, after a couple of low weeks, so I'd like to give them the best chance of survival. They've been a very productive and good natured colony, so fingers crossed.
T

Until a couple of weeks ago, I had a reasonably strong colony. I've just completed Varroa treatment and all was looking ok.

Wasps now seem to have decimated the hive into a pretty small colony with very little brood (mainly because of Apilife Var treatment I think). I've found and treated a wasp nest, tried screens, glass, wet sheets even while reducing the exit to one bee width.

Having looked this morning, wasps seem to be going in and out comparatively freely, though very little sign on the frames inside.

What now? Now the weather's changed I'm hoping the wasp action will decline. However, with a greatly reduced colony I'm not sure how they'll survive the winter. Would it be a good idea to move them to a nuc box (assuming they survive the week?).

Thanks in advance.

I had the very same problem as you. I got rid of all hand made traps & invested in a w.spb.ne trap. Was the only thing for the job. As above, nothing gets out of it. I live in Ireland, and it only took two days by courier after ordering from Tho.n.s. There are past threads all about Wasps. Hope you get sorted.

Yes, pop them into a poly nuc box. They will be much cosier over winter.
A small bit of advice. Anybody having to use a waspbane trap for a colony already under attack......make sure the entrances are at hive entrance levels.....works much better

Yes, pop them into a poly nuc box. They will be much cosier over winter.
A small bit of advice. Anybody having to use a waspbane trap for a colony already under attack......make sure the entrances are at hive entrance levels.....works much better

Thanks - found this out quickly and then it was like magic!
If weather improves, going to polynuc today. Hoping I can also sort out the wax moths.

Latest posts

Back