Wasp attack

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irobdoc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We have a small colony that has finally produced a queen in the last few days.

Yesterday the hive came under sustained attack by dozens of wasps.
Reducing the entrance down to 7mm and setting traps around, seemed to stem the numbers entering the hive. There are no obvious wasp nests in the immediate area.

Today they are back with a vengeance.

Apart from sealing the hive for a few days, and possibly preventing a mating flight, are there any other suggestions that might save the colony?

Not experienced a hard core wasp attack myself... YET... but as it's a nuc might it be easier to chuck it in the car and transport it >3 miles away in darkness tonight?

Unfortunately too late for today as foragers will be out... but but yup, entrance as small as humanly possible for today I'd say!

I think using robbing screens at this time of the year anyway is a vg idea, and other things also. However from past experience with a weak colony, once wasps are really on the case - and esp if you're hoping for a mating flight - I would move them asap if at all possible.

I had a problem with wasps last year (strangely virtually none seen so far this year) - what I did was to take a plastic 4 litre milk bottle, cut the side out of it and bend it into a tunnel. The plastic is just firm enough to fold like card.

Pinned over the entrance it made a tunnel which seemed to keep the blighters at bay. I made a block to restrict the entrance to a narrow opening which the tunnel is placed over.

FtMOd5E.jpg

I had a problem with wasps last year (strangely virtually none seen so far this year) - what I did was to take a plastic 4 litre milk bottle, cut the side out of it and bend it into a tunnel. The plastic is just firm enough to fold like card.

Pinned over the entrance it made a tunnel which seemed to keep the blighters at bay. I made a block to restrict the entrance to a narrow opening which the tunnel is placed over.

FtMOd5E.jpg

That looks like a good idea. Is it best done when the bees are in so they can orientate their way around it. I propped a sheet of glass against the front of my hive this morning but returning forrigers seemed confused so I moved it again
Wingy

Many thanks for your thoughts.

We've decided to make a screen as suggested, and in the mean time, have moved the hive in the hope the attack will cease and the queen be able to make her mating flight.

Latest posts

Back