Warped Plastic Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Will try a few hives with plastic frames this season, I’ve received a few warped, ideas to fix the warped plastic brood frames? Thanks. see picturesP5dmsacATGqesXiQkOZewA.jpglX4o4oOXQamLLKex4VyZHw.jpg

I gave up on mine. I found it difficult to get them flat. Just the slightest twist was annoying!

Will try a few hives with plastic frames this season, I’ve received a few warped, ideas to fix the warped plastic brood frames? Thanks. see picturesView attachment 24042View attachment 24043

I've used these for 10-15 years. I've never had them delivered like that though. I've had them warp if I boil them up with washing soda in the Burco so I now use a lower temperature.

Advantages of these frames:
1. No nails needed. Just open like a book and pop in the foundation - useful because I keep all my kit in my main apiary. I leave the straps intact in the brood frames but remove them in the supers. Unwired foundation in both.
2. Easier to clean cf wooden brood frames.

Disadvantages:
1. They have become progressively more expensive, now £2 ea cf T's seconds wood frames @50p.
2. Being moulded they have hollow spaces within. These become occupied by wax moth larvae.

Last edited:
Tried these frames once. A couple were like that. Never again!

Can't think how you would straighten them out, so I would bin them and mark it down to experience.

Isn't it time to reduce the amount of plastic we use or use biodegradeable alternatives?

Isn't it time to reduce the amount of plastic we use or use biodegradeable alternatives?
Plastic isn't the problem. Single use plastic and plastic waste is the problem. I note you' reusing a couple of poly nucs (and I have one). They last for decades (granted mine isn't yet a year old), and can be recycled when you're done with them so they're actually a perfectly good choice, especially given their advantages over wood.

2. Being moulded they have hollow spaces within. These become occupied by wax moth larvae.

Wonder if they could be printed and what the cost of a frame would be...

Back