Warm weather require greater monitoring of stores?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angeJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Would anyone know if this unseasonably warm weather will create a greater demand on the colonies stores? or is the reverse more likely? If they go out foraging for food that is not worth the energy consumption, then that could lead to increasingly diminishing stores, but will the warm weather enable them to conserve more? :xmas-smiley-033:

I would expect my colonies to keep brooding if they have the pollen. So yes, stores would be depleted faster if there is no chance to replace them. Watch the varroa too!!
Easiest thing is to weigh your hives (or heft if you have the gift) and compare the weights regularly.

Hi

It's a strange time, for us beginners trying to go by the book. Things don't always go according to plan. Yesterday I went to visit the bees on approaching the hive all I could see was lots of bees, first thought panic!!! as I got closer I could see they were doing an orientation flight . The temperature was 19 degrees , so there goes my xmas present as I was going to do the OX follow up, no chance now.I weighted the hive it's 26.4kgs I was wondering at what weight should I add food.
thanks

Loads of my bees flying yesterday!

Probably raising brood, very little forage around; definitely need to keep a close eye on stores.

I have a couple that are feeling a bit lighter than usual for this time of year so some fondant will be added over christmas

This is a very interesting question. I am convinced if its too mild, bees continue to consume more stores, they dont go in to a dormant state, they keep working and they wear themselves out more over the winter months. So, come next spring when the queen really gets going, bees tend to die earlier, as they have worked harder over winter.
Subsequently the transition between the old overwintering bees and the new bees being born (the increase if you like) is "jaded", as the support staff bringing on the young brood struggle because they are at the end of their life and therefore the colonie struggles to get going.
Last year for us was a classic example. We had warm mild weather up until now,Then we had a period of much colder, with daytime temperatures of between 2 and 8 degrees for about 6 weeks, so bees were very quiet, hardly moving, almost catatonic. if you looked under duck tape, you could see them, if you bother them enough they would stick their butts in the air, but thats all. They were very strong , early in the spring as soon as temperatures rose in early march.
In colder climates they are silent! if you stick your head against the hive you hear nothing, stone cold silence and your sure their dead.
Yesterday we had 16 degrees here, i undid the duck tape on one of my nucs and a splurge of bees came out the feeder hole!!
So Yes personally i think cold is good!! it helps the bees stay stronger for longer. Providing their well stocked up, their used to cold weather and have inbuilt method of overwintering on minimal food!! We always overfeed and always worry, but most of the time, their just fine!! its how they have evolved, long before we started sticking them in boxes and wearing medals for doing so!!!!

Last edited:
I am convinced if its too mild, bees continue to consume more stores, they dont go in to a dormant state, they keep working and they wear themselves out more over the winter months. So, come next spring when the queen really gets going, bees tend to die earlier, as they have worked harder over winter.

Yes, I will have some poly nuc boxes ready next spring

Why not, no two colonies are the same, I must admit I don't usually feed in the winter but this year is an exceptionally warm winter and bees are flying more days than previous years, even Mr Finman has fed in the winter I'm sure, the thing is not to over feed as you need empty frames for the queen to lay in come spring. I have removed stores and given drawn comb in the spring but not so much now with 14x12 BB's

I would expect my colonies to keep brooding if they have the pollen. So yes, stores would be depleted faster if there is no chance to replace them. Watch the varroa too!!
Easiest thing is to weigh your hives (or heft if you have the gift) and compare the weights regularly.

:iagree:

In Paris we have Viburnum and Mahonia in flower and the bees are bringing in 2 or 3 colours of pollen, so I'm pretty sure we have brood here at the moment. Only had 1 night of frost so far and that was back in November. Will be watching the weights carefully through Feb.

I am convinced if its too mild, bees continue to consume more stores

On the other hand: they need to generate less heat so should consume less.

The best advice I can offer is: don't go by "what should be", go by "what is". What I am trying to say is if you can heft them, do so. This will give you a guide as to how heavy/light they are. If the hives are prepared properly in autumn, there should be no need to worry about feeding them now. My own hives are so heavy I can't even heft them.

If you consider a wild colony in a good tree that does not have humans raiding the honey in the summer this sort of winter isn't a problem. They would have plenty of reserve, losing little keeping the nest warm while topping up the numbers of bees, taking advantage of winter pollen.

On the other hand: they need to generate less heat so should consume less.

If they are just staying clustered during all the warm weather, doing almost nothing, i would agree.

But if they are actively foraging for pollen and raising brood, then a lot more stores will be used up.

If they are just staying clustered during all the warm weather, doing almost nothing, i would agree.

But if they are actively foraging for pollen and raising brood, then a lot more stores will be used up.

No pollen here - or if there is any, very few bees foraging for it.. and even fewer coming back.

It may be warm for the year, but it's been grey and overcast 90% of the time. (and raining - a lot)

The temperature on top of my crownboards using IR thermometer was 16C over several colonies. Surely too low for much if any brood?

No pollen here - or if there is any, very few bees foraging for it.. and even fewer coming back.

It may be warm for the year, but it's been grey and overcast 90% of the time. (and raining - a lot)

The temperature on top of my crownboards using IR thermometer was 16C over several colonies. Surely too low for much if any brood?

Your bees situation is covered in paragraph one then.

Thank you for that.

Latest posts

Back