Visiting apiaries by Shank's pony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
If like me a couple of weeks ago to give queenie more room you replaced a couple of frames of stores with drawn foundation then you should be concerned whether they are now low on stores.

I visit 2 of my apiaries on foot or by bike. I don't usually keep any ekes at the apiaries so adding emergency feed can be tricky,
What I do is take some fondant wrapped in cling film in my rucksack.
Most of the colonies now have crown boards without feeder holes so there isn't much room for the fondant to go over the frames.
My double nationals still have 3frame dummies so these can be pushed into the hive a bit and the fondant place on top.
View attachment 12933
View attachment 12932

Or simply remove an empty frame and squash the fondant down the gap.
image.jpg
I used both methods today

If like me a couple of weeks ago to give queenie more room you replaced a couple of frames of stores with drawn foundation then you should be concerned whether they are now low on stores.

I visit 2 of my apiaries on foot or by bike. I don't usually keep any ekes at the apiaries so adding emergency feed can be tricky,
What I do is take some fondant wrapped in cling film in my rucksack.
Most of the colonies now have crown boards without feeder holes so there isn't much room for the fondant to go over the frames.
My double nationals still have 3frame dummies so these can be pushed into the hive a bit and the fondant place on top.
View attachment 12933
View attachment 12932

Or simply remove an empty frame and squash the fondant down the gap.
View attachment 12934
I used both methods today

If you make your crownboard with a beespace rim on one side and a 20mm rim on the other then simply turning it over provides an easy solution to giving room on top of your frames for fondant.

Good point.
If I had the right kit all the time then there wouldn't be a need to find other ways of getting the job done.
Unfortunately I'm a beekeeper so my kit is what I've knocked together. It does an admirable job most of the time but every so often I have to improvise.
The post was intended for those who are occasionally stuck!

Putting a deeper edge on one side of the crown board also means it is easy to turn into a clearer board by putting a round hole in the centre and using a rhombus or round escape.
Ray

Putting a deeper edge on one side of the crown board also means it is easy to turn into a clearer board by putting a round hole in the centre and using a rhombus or round escape.
Ray

I do that... 9mm one side 18 on the other... also useful for Apiguard treatment.

Don't try hopping with a full frame of bees!:hairpull:

Yeghes da

As above, the crown board with more depth on one side would be a solution.

But I don't understand why you don't just get an eke if you want one. They are cheap (or free), and easier to store at the apiary or hang over your handlebars than things like supers or feeders for example.

Or maybe I'm over-analysing this.

Or maybe I'm over-analysing this.

If only we were all so well organised!
Emergency feed to prevent possible starvation needed some improvisation with limited resources.
Just showing how one can still get feed on without immediate access to an eke or modified CB.
All ekes were back at home base.

Latest posts

Back