Video help please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are now two issues here and one I can sort by paying for a water mark free avi converter, but the other has me a bit baffled to be honest.

Utube say that the max length is 10 mins so I cut the filmi nto four parts at roughly 8 mins each. they say the max size is 1 gig and the files are certainly less than that.

When I get some time later today I will attack it again.

PH

PH, i have used Super C to covert videos to play on the Kids DS (for holidays). It also converts videos for phones etc etc so is quite versatile. It shrinks the DS videos down to a quarter of the size so this may work for you tube too??? (smaller image size)

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Should give you more information.

Pete

Last edited:
Just had a look, excellent job. Just goes to show the kit hasn't changed alot in 70 years.

They must be placid bees or we have got softer over the years as the only protection he has is his hat!!!!!

Last edited:
Just got half way through the first video,they are so ggod I need to go put the kettle on to see these.

Great job PH,thank you :cheers2:

Smiles.

The background to these or rather the one as it was one film to start with, is that it was a reel of film, 16mm found in a cupboard at Craibstone by B. Mobus.

He dated it to the thirties via the style of the lorry.

He used to show it at the "SBA Experts" weekend course which he tutored. What a voice he had as he lectured on the Friday night, all day Sat and Sun, then did a rapid round up on the Monday morning before the candidates sat the exam. Three hours by the way.

Anyway I hope it may be a sticky admin? Overall length is 31 mins. :)

PH

Last edited:
I have watched them - very good!

He beekeeper is brave - no gloves, no veil :)

Nick

very good, thanks

i noticed they didnt take the wbc's to the moors, also it took 4 men to move 6 nationals :)

I tried to lift a top brood box on a wbc hive yesterday and nearly collapsed with the weight of stores,they had started to build in the roof as well,I removed 4 combes of stores to feed back to them in the new year.

i win, just returned 40+ hives from the moors (back issues as expected), now the doctors tells me last Friday that I have signs of a hernia, joy!

Nice work Poly, those were the days :)

i win, just returned 40+ hives from the moors (back issues as expected), now the doctors tells me last Friday that I have signs of a hernia, joy!
Congratulations on 40 with no casualties, except your back.

What you and your horse power (Silver?) need is a Tonto in the equation kimosabee :)

A labour shared is significantly less than half the pain. You need a keen apprentice. Your level of experience is not an impediment if you are honest, encourage lots of reading. As the owner of the colonies, you get to decide what errors to subscribe to. Both learn, you command and keep your back in one piece and your internals in proper position. You don't have to talk to yourself either!
Sorry about the thread hijack.

Very good videos PH. All that good quality carpet under-felt must have kept a fair bit of heat in the hives. Job well done. :grouphug:

Congratulations on 40 with no casualties, except your back.

What you and your horse power (Silver?) need is a Tonto in the equation kimosabee :)

A labour shared is significantly less than half the pain. You need a keen apprentice. Your level of experience is not an impediment if you are honest, encourage lots of reading. As the owner of the colonies, you get to decide what errors to subscribe to. Both learn, you command and keep your back in one piece and your internals in proper position. You don't have to talk to yourself either!
Sorry about the thread hijack.

Very good videos PH. All that good quality carpet under-felt must have kept a fair bit of heat in the hives. Job well done. :grouphug:

lol, its on the list for next year - 99% sure I want to move to trailers for most moves now :)

With these newly back from the heather and your 22 nucs, is that you at around the 60+ figure going into winter?
What was your heather experience, other than the physical one, did you get much in the supers or was it mainly rammed into the brood boxes?
You need to speak to your vendor about his rapid feeding strategies. Impressive. :)

PH, can you tell me what is the extension of a video_ts file please.
I'm not familiar with video_ts, but would like to search for a short clip somewhere to be able to check out conversion to .avi using FFMPEG on Linux.
Thank you.
PH, Thank you for neatly ignoring my question, which was designed to assist you. I answered my own question by asking a friend when I saw him yesterday evening. The file extension is ,vob apparently.

Armed with that information, I can now confirm that ffmpeg does indeed do the job without any of the Shenanigans of proprietary programs teasing you until you stump up your cash.

For the interest of others, who may be more interested than yourself, FFMPEG is the Swiss army knife of video transcoding tools in the GNU Linux community. Double clicking on the resulting outputfile in the file manager KDE3.5.9 brought up the video just fine.

with the package installed on a SUSE 11.1 system the command line magic is:

ffmpeg -i inputfile.vob outputfile.avi

smplayer outputfile.avi was more than happy to show the clip, as was double clicking on the outputfile in the gui file manager environment.

You doubtless had the film/dvd file for long enough. So what was suddenly so important that you had to ask the question and ignore most of the follow up in your rush to publish?
Please don't taint your enthusiasm with that occasionally familiar touch of arrogance that others have mentioned in the past.

The movies were very enjoyable, I congratulate you and hope the price of the software doesn't knock too much out of the profit from this year's section sales. :grouphug:

The rush was to get the job done before wedding afairs took over for the rest of the week.

I like to get things done and although I do have a linux machine didn't feel confident enough to use that system.

I am very pleased with the suite of programs I did use and they did the job very well and very user friendly.

Seems you feel I tread on a toe before you feel free to make snide personal remarks which is something this forum tries to avoid.

Yellow card me thinks.

PH

nice film PH, Thanx for sharing with us,
could do with one of those macks they were wearing !!!

With these newly back from the heather and your 22 nucs, is that you at around the 60+ figure going into winter?
What was your heather experience, other than the physical one, did you get much in the supers or was it mainly rammed into the brood boxes?
You need to speak to your vendor about his rapid feeding strategies. Impressive. :)

Heather was useful for getting stores up, left all in brood boxes as much as possible - it was good to get a range of sites/contacts sorted too for next year.

It served its purpose.

:) there is a hidden msg in there I am thinking lol,,,,,

I understand that a number of people have reported little from the heather in the supers, but that the brood boxes are absolutely rammed with it, so it sounds like your experience is very similar.

Others in this position often take the view that heather honey may not be the best overwintering food for the bees, a bit rich I think, but others may be able to clarify that point. removing just one frame of stores from the brood box and extracting would give you a very useful crop and as the differential in the price of sugar and heather honey is significant you can afford to feed them syrup to replace the frame you took. Some boxes may be up to donating more than one frame.

The secret message - You know who your recent livestock supplier was and may be interested to ask him about his rapid feeding techniques this year. You will doubtless find it interesting.

There is absolutely no truth or rumour that he will be using in-flight-refuelling techniques next year. :) but it would make a good story, wouldn't it. As it is this year is interesting enough though. Honest! :cheers2:

I think with your level of experience, that you took a big gamble. As such I have been a keen observer of your progress, as have others I don't doubt. I am happy that you appear to be coming up trumps. If you haven't already started treating them with Apiguard, you could still take a few frames from the brood boxes to make things even better.

Is that you now with 60+ colonies? The 22 nucs in your picture the other day and the hives from the heather! I'm only asking the question that others will also be wondering about. Please feel free to decline an answer if you wish. It doesn't do to tell everyone everything that they want to know.

Fingers crossed for minimal winter losses ahead; both yours and my own (4). :grouphug:

Latest posts

Back