Viable excuses to your better half for buying more kit ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your most unusual beekeeping purchase that you've got hidden away?

Mine would have to be chloroform.
Well....I could never beat that. :svengo:
I have stuff I bought and never used....quite a bit of it I'm afraid.
I found a strange serrated curved knife in amongst the junk yesterday. I gave in finally and asked Stan what it was; an asparagus cutter. I can't remember buying that

Well....I could never beat that. :svengo:
I have stuff I bought and never used....quite a bit of it I'm afraid.
I found a strange serrated curved knife in amongst the junk yesterday. I gave in finally and asked Stan what it was; an asparagus cutter. I can't remember buying that
I love gadgets .... the problem is that only about one in fifty actually make life easier .... a liitle off topic but you started it ... out of the last dozen or two gadgets I've bought (and nothing to do with beekeeping) are the best ever apple corer and a pineapple corer and slicer - they both actually work. I won't list the cupboard full of things that don't ....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slicer-Sta...1617267486&sprefix=apple+corer,aps,196&sr=8-6
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACONDE-Upg...267649&sprefix=pineapple+corer,aps,184&sr=8-7
I like apples and pineapples and both of these make easy work of preparing them ...

What's your most unusual beekeeping purchase that you've got hidden away?

Mine would have to be chloroform.
Mine is gin for an alcohol wash :cool:

My Other Half is of the opinion that if one day a parcel doesn't arrive- the courier will still knock on the door to check I'm ok...

I used to get stuff delivered to work, dispose of the packing there and he was none the wiser! But that doesn't work now we're both working from home.

I love gadgets .... the problem is that only about one in fifty actually make life easier .... a liitle off topic but you started it ... out of the last dozen or two gadgets I've bought (and nothing to do with beekeeping) are the best ever apple corer and a pineapple corer and slicer - they both actually work. I won't list the cupboard full of things that don't ....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACONDE-Upg...267649&sprefix=pineapple+corer,aps,184&sr=8-7I like apples and pineapples and both of these make easy work of preparing them ...
So do I but that pineapple job would be a nono for me. I do it the way they do it in the far east. - no waste like your thingy. :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

So do I but that pineapple job would be a nono for me. I do it the way they do it in the far east. - no waste like your thingy. :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:
At least with the gadget you lose all the prickly bits on the outside that stick in your teeth .... small price to pay .... and these days with pineapples 95p each in Asda ..... I'd never eaten fresh pineapple until I came south in 1967 ... and the were incredibly expensive ... now ... cheaper pro rata than virtually any exotic fruit !

At least with the gadget you lose all the prickly bits on the outside that stick in your teeth .... small price to pay .... and these days with pineapples 95p each in Asda ..... I'd never eaten fresh pineapple until I came south in 1967 ... and the were incredibly expensive ... now ... cheaper pro rata than virtually any exotic fruit !
You clearly don't understand how clever the Asians are. Nothing ever sticks in my teeth (and even at 86 I still have my original full set as well a whopping mullet due to the lockdown actually) and I'm certain the Asians got it licked back in dark ages. We have a lot to learn. Save yourself the effort and your 'gelt' on wasted gadgets and get a proper life. :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: Mangoes are even more special though the pips would do more than just stick in your teeth. The durian fruit is another animal and best left to the Asians. Try - no suck it - it by all means and see!! The Asians have all the best fruit imho lucky them.

Last edited:
Just get it delivered to a friend's house say nothing
When I was working I used to have it delivered to the Post Room at the office. They would even come and collect the car keys to put it in the car for me.
A couple of jars of honey each year kept them very sweet.

You clearly don't understand how clever the Asians are. Nothing ever sticks in my teeth (and even at 86 I still have my original full set as well a whopping mullet due to the lockdown actually) and I'm certain the Asians got it licked back in dark ages. We have a lot to learn. Save yourself the effort and your 'gelt' on wasted gadgets and get a proper life. :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: Mangoes are even more special though the pips would do more than just stick in your teeth. The durian fruit is another animal and best left to the Asians. Try - no suck it - it by all means and see!! The Asians have all the best fruit imho lucky them.
By the time I'd fiddled around with this Asian method I reckon my gadget would do a better job and waste very little comparatively .,... life is too short ,... and you've got less left than most !!! Buy a gadget and eat more pineapple ... :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slicer-Sta...1617267486&sprefix=apple+corer,aps,196&sr=8-6
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACONDE-Upg...267649&sprefix=pineapple+corer,aps,184&sr=8-7
I like apples and pineapples and both of these make easy work of preparing them ...

I can never resist a gadget so I've just ordered one - thanks.

I can never resist a gadget so I've just ordered one - thanks.

You won't be disappointed ...

The apple corer is fantastic .. I take the core out of an apple - it's really sharp so do it on a chopping board .. and then wrap the apple in aluminium foil and take it to work to eat later in the day ... no waste, no nibbling round the core and annoying my colleagues ... the slicer is great when the grannchildren are with us it make great apple segments that are just the size for them to eat ...

You won't be disappointed ...

The apple corer is fantastic .. I take the core out of an apple - it's really sharp so do it on a chopping board .. and then wrap the apple in aluminium foil and take it to work to eat later in the day ... no waste, no nibbling round the core and annoying my colleagues ... the slicer is great when the grannchildren are with us it make great apple segments that are just the size for them to eat ...
Unfortunately my apple corer has alzheimers so I have to do it these days but have got a potato peeler type thing that gets most of the core out. Had it for some 59 years I think!. Am getting used to doing it at long last and looking forward to get stuck into Bramleys from the garden now I have had someone to professionally prune the tree.

By the time I'd fiddled around with this Asian method I reckon my gadget would do a better job and waste very little comparatively .,... life is too short ,... and you've got less left than most !!! Buy a gadget and eat more pineapple ... :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

Your video of an Asian woman doing precisely what I do after having lived in far east umpteen years ago and learnt the trick. Ta muchly - I can still improve my technique perhaps?

[/QUOTE]
You clearly don't understand how clever the Asians are. Nothing ever sticks in my teeth (and even at 86 I still have my original full set as well a whopping mullet due to the lockdown actually)

Rude isn't he Afermo! Don't worry, I'm not all that far behind. Stick together and we'll outlive them all....

Just tell her they (the suppliers) rang you up, and said you'd been chosen at random, to test their product. They then want your honest review of it, and your thoughts may appear on their website and catalogue.

It can take a long time to get an opinion of something.......

Rude isn't he Afermo! Don't worry, I'm not all that far behind. Stick together and we'll outlive them all....
[/QUOTE]

Afermo knows I have the greatest respect for his ancient status .... the world needs more octogenarians ... and we are getting them !

Latest posts

Back