Veil advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have several bee suits/jackets and have yet to find a veil that gives me clear vision especially when looking for eggs. I wear glasses and find the various veils all seem to distort or cause a 'swimming' effect. Is there such a thing as a clear, non-fogging plastic one?

Can't help there. I have the same difficulty seeing eggs but can improve visibility by pressing the veil close to my specs

I agree, veil on Sentinel is a bit better than on my old BB wear suits. Having light behind you, and not onto the veil makes the biggest difference.

How about a pair of the fangled JML type magnifying specs with in built lights.

I couldn’t see eggs until I bit the bullet and bought varifocals

How about a pair of the fangled JML type magnifying specs with in built lights.
I appreciate the advice on Sentinel ll, but l really don't need and can't justify the cost (not worried at all by a few stings so wouldn't need the sting-proof element of the suit). It's too easy to keep spending money on this hobby!

Never heard of these JML magnifying specs, but a quick google brought them up. I may well speculate £20 for a pair although l might look like an alien, but what the heck, l live in the sticks and can please myself what l look like - l do anyway under coronavirus restrictions!

ps Poot - l already wear varifocals.

I appreciate the advice on Sentinel ll, but l really don't need and can't justify the cost (not worried at all by a few stings so wouldn't need the sting-proof element of the suit). It's too easy to keep spending money on this hobby!

Never heard of these JML magnifying specs, but a quick google brought them up. I may well speculate £20 for a pair although l might look like an alien, but what the heck, l live in the sticks and can please myself what l look like - l do anyway under coronavirus restrictions!

ps Poot - l already wear varifocals.
If you do, let us know how you get on. I tried a headtorch to provide additional light once but all it did was cause the inside of the bee veil to illuminate so I couldn't see anything at all.

If you do, let us know how you get on. I tried a headtorch to provide additional light once but all it did was cause the inside of the bee veil to illuminate so I couldn't see anything at all.
Why not simply keep an led own torch in your pocket. Good for lighting up eggs.

Why not simply keep an led own torch in your pocket. Good for lighting up eggs.
Unfortunately, my arthritis (way too old to call it juvenile arthritis these days) is starting to affect my fingers as well now so I am not as nimble as I was. I like to keep both hands on the frame whenever possible to lessen the chance of slippage. I don't think I could manage a handheld torch as well without either dropping it or the frame. That is why I was wanting something handsfree.

Sherrif have their own Clear View Technology on their veils, have to say have two of their suits and it is outstanding. Main thing that also helps is safety reading glasses in effect like wearing a magnifying glass, make seeing eggs easy.

I always grab a cheap pair of specs from Tesco (other outlets available :p)- one/two strength up, just for egg spotting!

I got one of the vented ones Thornes sell and have no problem seeing eggs and they are cheap too less than £100 for a full suit. I have consigned my bb wear suit to the bin as I could never see eggs whilst wearing it and my eye sight is fine

I saw somewhere online a picture of a DIY job. They’d cut out a 6”x4” panel of the mesh veil and superglued a clear thin transparent plastic panel to see through.

Latest posts

Back