vegan honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dookie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My wife has just bought a diet book (she becoming a vegan), and it has so many lies in it hard to read without laughing.

1) bees are kept in cramped conditions like battery caged hens
2) We steal their honey
3) In the winter people burn hives because its cheaper than looking after them

I dont know what i can do to show her she is wrong, I have hives in the garden but is there any good literature to show that the normal stuff we do is good for bees and their numbers?

I struggle with the vegan thing (being from farming stock) but have no issue with people who choose that way. The point about beekeeping is valid though - like in all walks of stock keeping you get some who bring down the good name of those who do it so well.

Think her books needs burning - making sweeping statements about all is very poor form.

Sounds like you like have a bit of jest with your wife. Why don't you ask her if she feels guilty about the nuts she eats is stolen of the poor squirrel or birds. At the end of the day to live there will always be some impact

My wife has just bought a diet book (she becoming a vegan), and it has so many lies in it hard to read without laughing.

2) We steal their honey

I dont know what i can do to show her she is wrong, I have hives in the garden but is there any good literature to show that the normal stuff we do is good for bees and their numbers?

If we had a link to the book we could always give it a review quoting scientific papers.Tom Seeley for one. How many hives have you burnt in front of your wife? Without our intervention your wife would have a very boring diet of cereal crops, until bee numbers increased if we didn't use chemicals to keep them alive. We do not steal their honey we only take a surplus.

Those honey farming videos which have been posted on here before, where there are hundreds of hives processed and the bees are treated brutally don't help any argument that bees are looked after properly - and it's that kind of video that gets a lot of views.

2) We steal their honey

I suppose she might provide endless laughter but the bean eater I once worked with had almost continuous flatulence and could clear an office with ease.
:sorry:

2) We steal their honey

Unfortunately, there are a few Vegans who are absolute zealots and I've run into a few of them at public events supported by my local association - no amount of logical arguments move them away from their stance on beekeeping. However, for every one that has this warped view (and they, sadly, tend to be the most vocal and vociferous) there are ten more who understand that beekeeping should not be a target for their principles of not exploiting animals as a food source.

How you tackle the perception and the misconceptions put forward in the Vegan books I really don't know ... perhaps time with your bees to see what you ACTUALLY do rather than what her books SAY beekeepers do may go some way towards balancing the argument.

Personally, I would be adding in that, alongside Vegan principles, we should be looking at the broader issue of what we are doing to the planet in global terms. Sweetening her tea with honey that came from 20 yards away rather than with cane sugar that came from the other side of the planet, after being processed using fossil fuels, has to be as important as reducing our dependence upon animal products.

Tough one ... good luck !

You can get her involved with your hives and she can see for herself. The way other people may treat bees us not your responsibility but you can make a difference on a small scale. It all most of us can do. My daughter has just become a vegetarian because she says eating meat is immoral but at least she doesn't prozletise(sp?)
Good luck.

The book is 200 years out of date describing beekeeping before frames.

Anyone who goes by 200 year old information on bees would normally question what else they are taught is out of date excrement.

The diet book that started me off on this is Alicia Silverstone "the kind diet" Its number 1 on the new yorks bestseller list.

I had a look on other vegan websites to see what they say and my favourite thing that i founds so far is from PETA, we steal honey and stealing is wrong!

http://www.petakids.com/food/honey/

Who is going to stick up for the plants! For vegans to survive seedlings are thinned out the other poor seedlings die instead they could be used to keep a vegan alive. The natural fertiliser from cows is spread on fields this helps to keep a micro ecosystem alive. Instead they would prefer we use chemical fertilisers which end up running off into our rivers and poisoning fish. A vegan once asked me if I enjoyed eating rotten meat. I enjoy it as much as I enjoy eating rotten vegetables and fruit.

Actually all 3 statements are true ...in a sensationalist tabloid sense. The way that one example is inflated to apply to "always everywhere" when it is really only valid " rarely, in a few places".

a single beekeeper is proven to kill a bee, therefore all Beekeepers are mass murderers

The diet book that started me off on this is Alicia Silverstone "the kind diet" Its number 1 on the new yorks bestseller list.

I had a look on other vegan websites to see what they say and my favourite thing that i founds so far is from PETA, we steal honey and stealing is wrong!

http://www.petakids.com/food/honey/

just read through it, what an absolute load of c***p

Back