Varroa treatment now

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menteth

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone,
is it too late to do a winter varroa treatment.
(I didn’t get the chance to oxalic in December).

If so, what treatment would you suggest?

I’m In Glos UK.
5 hives.
14x12 Nat

thanks everyone

Hi Everyone,
is it too late to do a winter varroa treatment.
(I didn’t get the chance to oxalic in December).

If so, what treatment would you suggest?

I’m In Glos UK.
5 hives.
14x12 Nat

thanks everyone

You're likely to have sealed brood by now so OA won't reach the breeding mites within. On a 'warm' day this week maybe lift out a brood frame to check?

OA by sublimation will knock the mite population down ... if you put the inspection board in and use that as an indicator - if you get a large drop on the board after sublimating then another go after 5 days will get the emerging mites. I doubt that, after the recent cold spell there is going to be much brood in there. A cheapo pan evaporator or a Gasvap will do the job and you have the kit for the future. Undoubtedly the best and most effective treatment at this time of the year.

Yes, you’re right, I’ll be checking later this week.

my question thus remains, so to simplify:
with some sealed brood, how do I treat for varroa at this time of year?
(Or shall I leave until early summer)?

OA by sublimation will knock the mite population down ... if you put the inspection board in and use that as an indicator - if you get a large drop on the board after sublimating then another go after 5 days will get the emerging mites. I doubt that, after the recent cold spell there is going to be much brood in there. A cheapo pan evaporator or a Gasvap will do the job and you have the kit for the future. Undoubtedly the best and most effective treatment at this time of the year.

Hi Pargyle, manyvthanks for this.
This is what I’ll do then.
Brilliant advice

Early summer will likely have honey supers on so not a good time to treat.
If you carried out autumn treatment then the winter bees are pretty much safe.
For sealed brood vaping will need 3 x vapes at 5 day intervals otherwise you are in the Maq's corner.

I’m often in the hives weather permitting early/mid March just treat then or vape now if you wish. Avoid thymol based as average temps won’t be enough.

Like I said .. Get yourself the means to treat them by sublimating with Oxalic Acid ... you can treat them now and the inspection board will tell you whether you have a high mite load and then a further treatment by sublimation will sort out the majority of mites in the cells.

Here you go ...10 minutes reading will tell you all you need to know:

https://www.theapiarist.org/tag/sublimation/

Latest posts

Back