Varroa Treatment Bottle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oandy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi i have made my own self priming syringe and bottle to . Th**nes sell these for £60+. This cost less than £12. The bottle is a cheap cycle drink bottle £2.99, the 5ml syringe from animal feed supplie r£8.80. Drill out the centre of the drink bottle to match the syphon tube. Andy

6 hives! - sexy...

Treated 16 hives as it self filling to the required 5ml per seam works faster than having to refill each time. i treated my familys and friends it saves us all having to send for oxalic. As i can mix as much or as little as needed. We are going to expand our hives it will repay its cost. I will also use it to measure out the thymol for Hivemakers thymol green pads so will be used when needed Andy. 16 hives x 7 seams x 5ml = 560ml as the bottle hold 750ml.

Last edited:
nice piece of kit, Andy.

Tanks Tony and Dr. Easy to clean warm water with soap a few sqeeze of the handle then clean water job done. Had a thought put a cable tie around tube under the top this should stop the pipe from pulling out if bottle slips. Andy

Treated 16 hives as it self filling to the required 5ml per seam works faster than having to refill each time. i treated my familys and friends it saves us all having to send for oxalic. As i can mix as much or as little as needed. We are going to expand our hives it will repay its cost. I will also use it to measure out the thymol for Hivemakers thymol green pads so will be used when needed Andy. 16 hives x 7 seams x 5ml = 560ml as the bottle hold 750ml.

I have only 30 hives.

If you have 800 hives, it makes some difference.

I have only 30 hives.

If you have 800 hives, it makes some difference.

I put this out to the members for them to use or not. I take it that with your small number of hives the £12 would be to exspensive. I am sorry that times are so hard for you. Andy

I'd probably use a dedicated one for the thymol/oil mix as it's difficult to clean completely AND doesn't like some plastics.

(HM - what do you use to dose your thymol?)

Oandy,

Ingenious, simple or whatever. Well done.

The bottle (size) is immaterial, but the sourcing of far cheaper items (than the bee suppliers) demonstrates the worth of thinking just a little outside the 'beekeeping supplier' box. A practical beekeeper.

RAB

Useful piece of kit. May have other uses too (trying to justify a new toy). Where was the syringe from? Most of the ones I see listed are twice that price or more.

Oandy,

Ingenious, simple or whatever. Well done.

The bottle (size) is immaterial, but the sourcing of far cheaper items (than the bee suppliers) demonstrates the worth of thinking just a little outside the 'beekeeping supplier' box. A practical beekeeper.

RAB

This is right in sailing too. As soon as the word "Marine" appears in front of the object the price doubles, as a general rule.

Innovative idea!

The best source of those syringes is a local dairy or beef farmer.... Every time they buy treatments for cattle that have to be applied with one of these syringes or a drenching gun, they frequently get a free syringe/drenching gun. I know of a number of farmers that have 'collections' of these and it probably wouldn't be too painful an exercise to get them to part with one. I got one in this way and am holding it in reserve as to date I have applied oxalic by sublimation.

Last edited:
I'd probably use a dedicated one for the thymol/oil mix as it's difficult to clean completely AND doesn't like some plastics.

(HM - what do you use to dose your thymol?)

:iagree:

you'll probably find uncle HM's thymol brew does for the internals.....

when i dose up pads using it, I treat everything i use (syringe, gloves, etc) as throw away items

Hi drs you should be able to find a dosing gun f.o.c. supplied by a manufacturer of anthelmintics, to go with their product. It only needs a friendly agricultural merchant.
I would suggest a small gun for lambs/calves, probalby more sensitive at lower doses.
ian

Last edited:
Back