varroa mesh

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnybeegood

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Last edited:
have bought quite a bit from simon, he offers money back if not happy

It's the same as thorns omf to haven't had any problems my self

I have some this size on a window in a chicken hut & I have bees gone through it.

We buy 8'x4' sheets and cut to size this type of mesh for floors and travel screens, but 3mm, had a sheet of 4mm sent by accident once and never took any notice of the difference in size at the time, result, a lot of bees got trapped in the mesh, and a few managed to get through, this was in the travel screens.
Wasps would be the bigger problem in the mesh floors.

Last edited:
We buy 8'x4' sheets and cut to size this type of mesh for floors and travel screens, but 3mm, had a sheet of 4mm sent by accident once and never took any notice of the difference in size at the time, result, a lot of bees got trapped in the mesh, and a few managed to get through, this was in the travel screens.
Wasps would be the bigger problem in the mesh floors.

I have about 20 sheets of it that I took off some old air conditioning filters, ive used it on all sorts & thought I could use it for hives but I had bees get in my shed & they got through the mesh to the window. seeing this on Ebay just made me think as the mesh on my poly hives is a lot smaller.

not the same stuff, but I had one of the cedar hives from Easipet and the mesh supplied allows bees to squeese through both ways.

I have seen the bees fly under the hive and up through the mesh, rather than go through the entrance. The main problem seems to be the mesh acts like a pollen trap - lots of dropped pollen beneath the hive which has prompted me to buy a new floor!

not the same stuff, but I had one of the cedar hives from Easipet and the mesh supplied allows bees to squeese through both ways.

I have seen the bees fly under the hive and up through the mesh, rather than go through the entrance. The main problem seems to be the mesh acts like a pollen trap - lots of dropped pollen beneath the hive which has prompted me to buy a new floor![/QUOTE

I was wondering about easipet hives. They seem soooo cheap. Now we know why.

Agreed, a regular customer of Simon. Pleased with everything I've bought and delivery is excellent.

I'm not dissing simon i am just asking about the mesh size, it seems a bit big at 4mm.

I'm not dissing simon-

Really? Who you trying to kid now?

Stick to dissing easypet who def supply cheap carp. I have found Simon's items good value for the money.

have bought quite a bit from simon, he offers money back if not happy

+1 ... Really good service, almost instant delivery and on the one occasion I had problem with a hive catch that wouldn't catch he sent me a new pair without any quibble. Really top notch supplier - just bought some frame eyelets from him - Simon's price £3.99/24g with free del. Most other UK suppliers are a bit cheaper but the delivery costs screw them ...

Simon even sourced some flexi plastic queen catchers for me.. after I had a grizzel that the stock long handled acrylic ones broke too easily.............

As for mesh floor size 3mm seems to bee the size to use... wire woven mesh or expanded metal
recall that the eezipet one we trialed a few years back had a large "expamet" floor rather than a woven mesh as with mesh companies?....... looked more like a queen excluder... but then the brood box that came with it had the block entrance fitted to it as opposed to the floor, that had a rim all around.

Yeghes da

Go with your gut. If you think it is too big you will be forever worrying....just buy smaller mesh and then you can be happy!
E

Yes, would a wasp get through 4mm?

Yes some would, i had a nest close by year before last & i was suprised at the size of some, they arent all the same size , some were quite small & all flying to the same nest.

I have found Simon's items good value for the money.

I agree with RAB, Simon is my preferred supplied for most of my supplies. The service is excellent,

I have found Simon's items good value for the money.

I agree with RAB, Simon is my preferred supplied for most of my supplies. The service is excellent,

Why are you all jumping to simons defence? I 'm talking about the size of the mesh not whos selling it, what does it matter whos selling it? If its no good for the job its no good.

I have seen the bees fly under the hive and up through the mesh, rather than go through the entrance. The main problem seems to be the mesh acts like a pollen trap - lots of dropped pollen beneath the hive which has prompted me to buy a new floor![/QUOTE

I was wondering about easipet hives. They seem soooo cheap. Now we know why.

yes, I think I paid £125 for the hive, seems to be not great quality cedar and the floor mesh has its issues, but I thought it was a better option than pine for that money (roof, BB, 2 supers and the floor).

You live and learn

If it's from Simon the beekeeper shouldn't think there'd be a problem. I always use the mesh company though

Just had some through from the mesh company - was supposed to get the epoxy coated stuff but had stainless woven arrive instead.

I was wondering if you use the fine woven mesh too? do the bees seem ok with it? The punched out style mesh floors have much wider gauge material and possibly easier to walk over compared to finer mesh?

At least the bees wont fit through this mesh, nor larger pollen loads!

Latest posts

Back