Varroa-guard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I note that TH****s have this on their site.....again?

i used it on half my hives all last year
half of them i used the trays
half i sprinkeld over the frames
When used in the trays after a while it goes solid so needs to be replaced on a regular basis otherwise it become nothing more than a concrete step for them

sprinkled over the frames it just makes a mess and the bees seem to ignore any empty comb that and then you have to replace or brush any off

all the hives treated come through the winter treated with this but they seem a lot weaker than the hives i treated with vapour.

this year i will not be using the powder system again
To test this product to see how affective it is needs at least 3 or 4 seasons as i have found the counts have been very low the past two years anyway.

It is not authorised as a hive sanitiser by the VMD because they only deal with medicines, not sanitisers. The distributers have been told by VMD to remove the claim from their packaging and Beecraft have told them to alter their advert.
They could improve their advert by informing people what the active ingredient is.

Bit like oxalic acid?:rolleyes:

"This is because they can't sell it as a varroa treatment because oxalic acid does not have the appropriate approvals despite being widely used across Europe as a varroa treatment."

Chemicals Laif (ALV) now have italian ministry approval for their bog standard dribble formulation of oxalic - Api-Bioxal.

Back to Varroa Gard - so it has both our favorite varroacides (oxalic and thymol) plus a peroxide based disinfectant.

Just yesterday, I tried to revive the (short but correctly-titled!) thread on this stuff in "Honeybee Health" ...

Since that other {linked} thread has a mis-spelling of the product name in its title, maybe its better to concentrate on this thread!
Apart from the preliminary discussion on that other thread, has anyone had any more experience of this "Oxalic Acid + Sulphur + Virucide + Thyme Oil" (Thymol?) preparation?
It seems that it is used as a powder 'footbath' for the bees entering and leaving the hive, with a shallow tray containing powder placed just inside the entrance. ...

Latest posts

Back