varroa..... Grrr

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skydragon,

The varroah will be emerging from the cells as the hatching brood open the cappings and join the flock. About 80% of the colony varroah load will be in capped cells at any one time, while there is lots of brood rearing - the other approx 20% will be sucking haemolymph from bees and spreading nasty viruses around the colony.

Those are the ones in your most recent mite-drop count and it probably won't change appreciably until all the capped brood has emerged. The rest of the treatment is to knock down those few mites which might have managed to get into a capped cell and avoided the first 'zap'. Any that might arive on roaming bees, or bees from badly infested colonies which are collapsing, or robbing, etc. can quickly re-infect the colony (the reason why the whole apiary should be treated at the same time)

That is why doing a mite count during the treatment is, IMO, really a waste of time. A daily drop will be somewhat less than ten percent of the hive loading. Varroah will emerge later if drone brood is present (and in larger numbers than from a single worker cells), so the brood may be emerging for over a fortnight, as will the varroah. The actual times might vary from the norm, so to be reasonably sure the treatment is usually extended to about 3 weeks.

Sooo, if all the apiguard is cleared out in the next seven days you may be left with a somewhat higher residual infestation than could be attained for a slightly longer treatment. In other words you may be starting with a day's worth of varroah (or worse). That would represent a poor result for the cost of treatment and if that was the case, winter oxalic acid treatment would almost be certainly required. I hope this helps you understand how the system is supposed to work.

Regards, RAB

Some of the reports regarding Apiguard I've read suggest that the 2nd Gel pack will be cleared out more slowly than the first, as the bees will have grown accustomed to the Thymol smell. Apiguard also claims to keep on 'working' for some time after a gel pack is removed/empty due to Thymol residues on the bees and comb.

I could see no drone brood at all today (although I may well have missed a few cells) so it's probably safe to say that the capped cells I saw today will hatch out in under 14 days time. So even if they clear the 2nd gel pack out like the first, I should be OK.

I'm fairly certain there are no honey bee hives within a 3 mile radius of where I live (I've never seen a single honey bee in my garden in the 6 years I've lived there), so I'm lucky that drifting/invasion/robbing introducing Varroa is probably not an issue (and visa versa to others).

I carried out the mite drop count this weekend just out of curosity. The real test will be a mite drop count during the last week of Sept.

'Some, suggest, claims, probably, should, fairly certain,'. All these words and phrases are singularly and collectively full of assured confidence in the product/treatment?

We know the efficacy is not 100% and requires good conditions for treatment to approach that figure. Any deviation from optimum will result only in a decrease of the 'kill' and leave a larger 'starting number' of mites which will reach danger levels just that much sooner. A heavy burden before treatment will, on it's own, mean more residual mite population to kick-start the cycle as well. Ymmv.

RAB

Basic, ... Harsh, .... Analysis, suggests there is only one way to 100% eradicate varroa,

and it depends on two essential factors ......

1. destroy all the varroa brood and break the breeding cycle irrevocably.

This might be done by destroying all bee brood which could carry varroa brood across two varroa breeding cycles or a bit longer.

2. Allow no more varroa carrying bees to join the studied colonies.

How this might be achieved is less understood at the moment, I believe, but might be possible with some ingenuity.

Analysis, suggests there is only one way to 100% eradicate varroa
Being realistic, I'm not setting myself a target of eradicating Varroa 100%. Just making the most of the remaining >15degC days left this year to reduce the population to as near to Zero as I can get it using Apiguard. If the weather later in Sept is still warm enough to warrant it, I may well add another Apiguard gel pack to maximise the treatment for longer.

Might a pollen trap work to knock off the mites as they enter the hive?
I believe a open mesh floor already does this to some extent. If I look at the mite count tray in my hive, as well as the varroa mites, there is also some pollen and some live varroa mites. So I'm presuming that some of the knocked off mites have been removed as bees enter the hive.

I've just ordered some Oxalic acid powder ( Oxuvar ) ready for use at the end of the year and I'm hopeful that will reinforce the varroa reduction enough to enable no further active treatment until July next year. If it doesn't, I've some BeeVital standing by... if that doesn't work it's back to Apiguard in the spring.

As a total last resort I have access to some Apivar, but I really want to avoid going down the Varroacide route, unless as an absolute last resort.

An OA treatment will give you around 95-100% effectiveness if done as per instructions.

I expect my Thymol to work around 80% if applied in 2 treatments.

Quick update.

I added a third dose of approx 1/3 of a 50g tray of Apiguard about a week ago (due to me having put the second tray in early, due to work commitments).

Carried out a mite drop count over the last 3 days and did not see a single varroa mite, so it seems like the Apiguard treatment has worked well.

I'll still carry out an Oxalic acid trickle in late Dec/early Jan and that will hopefully then see me through to next August when I'll dose with Apiguard again (I'll carry out a few mite drop counts throughout the year to monitor how things are going).

If you have nearly eradicated the mites, won't OA be simply a waste of time and effort at a time of the year when the bees may be better left alone? OA has it's associated risks as well.

On the other hand, if your bees go robbing late in the autumn or bees from collapsing colonies drift into your hives, the infestation could be far higher than you think, very shortly.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back