Varoa drop boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from the same document
"Varroa has been removed from the list of notifiable diseases so beekeepers are no longer obliged to report its presence in their colonies."
No mention of the current practice/process.

from the same document
"Varroa has been removed from the list of notifiable diseases so beekeepers are no longer obliged to report its presence in their colonies."
No mention of the current practice/process.
It does have to be declared on Beebase ... in fact - I think it's automatically included that your colonies HAVE varroa ...

The mesh floor was 'invented' with this in mind and in come cases it's actually called a 'varroa floor' ... but it's not .. it's uesful for many reasons but for varroa control it is not.

For some reason I had it in my head that the mesh floor existed well before varroa became a problem.

James

For some reason I had it in my head that the mesh floor existed well before varroa became a problem.

James
They arrived in the UK in the early 1990's .. varroa arrived in 1992 ... there is some ambiguity in the beekeeping literature at the time as to whether they were intended for bottom ventilation and some people believed they would help with varroa or whether they became popular because people thought they would assist varroa control and found that the bees thrived on them ...

There's no mention of them in any books written before about 1995 as far as I can see ... and I've read a lot of old bee books !

I do accept that open mesh floors have been in use in warmer climates for many years prior to their introduction into the UK ... we are sometimes a little reticent to try 'new' things (anything less than 50 years trial !) in the UK.

The mesh floor was 'invented' with this in mind and in come cases it's actually called a 'varroa floor' ... but it's not .. it's uesful for many reasons but for varroa control it is not.
the mesh floor was 'invented' back at the turn of the 19th/20th century, long before varroa reached our shores (Michael Palmer shared a photograph of one displayed out in Ireland which I think was dated about 1905) they simply jumped on to the varroa bandwagon in the nineties to market the idea.

Yes, I’d agree the vaporisation methods are very effective and I suspect they aren’t included for potential safety reasons.

If that really were the case it's beneath all contempt.
you have to realise that there is an insiduous takeover of the NBU by the BBKA and its doctrines, it's been obvious for some time and was evident when I visited Sand Hutton last year where the mantra of 'shook swarm cures everything' echoed around the building

you have to realise that there is an insiduous takeover of the NBU by the BBKA and its doctrines, it's been obvious for some time and was evident when I visited Sand Hutton last year where the mantra of 'shook swarm cures everything' echoed around the building
Yes, dogma is often irritating. No such doctrinal tendencies on this forum of course......

On earth, peace and good will to all men, Luke 2:14

It is taught on rote at the LBKA that I'm no longer a member of.

Underlying attitudes and the most insidious doctrine are often found where you least expect them – at the heart of seemingly respectable societies or organisations. I've come to expect it these days, but I don't accept it.

I don’t. I’m not sure many live varroa drop through at all but I have sen the occasional one or two
Natural drop is a really poor way of estimating infestation. It’s extremely inaccurate unless you keep the board in for a while brood cycle and even then it’s probably best to count every day and clean the debris off
Now this is a varroa drop!!!! I had one hive that was infested, its had autumn treatment and a winter truckle, still a few rouge ones about.

Attachments

• 20220916_175404.jpg
    20220916_175404.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back