Vapourised oxalic acid - super - honey safe to eat?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimy Dee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hello all,
I am looking for a bit of help please. Last autumn I put a super of honey under the brood box, and in the course of the autumn / winter I vapourised oxalic acid, in the entrance of the hive, on 3 or 4 occasions. Obviously the super underneath the brood box got the full belt of the vapourised oxalic acid on each occasion.

This spring I shifted the super from underneath and placed it on top of the brood box. The super contained brood and had very little honey in it at the time. I did not cut out any of the contents of the super, just shifted it lock stock and barrel to the top of the BB.

However, on inspection today this super (on top of BB) is now full of honey, and I am concerned that there is a residue of oxalic acid in the super, if only on the wax in the super.

Is this super of honey safe to eat? What will I do with it?

How poisonous is oxalic acid? All advise welcome. Thanks. Jim

Is this super of honey safe to eat?

Yes

? What will I do with it?

I like mine on toast or with rum and hot water for a cold cure. SWMBO covers a jar of sliced lemon and ginger with honey for a fortnight and drinks a teaspoonful with hot water as a tea substitute.
You could put it on your porridge?

How poisonous is oxalic acid?

Apparently there's more OA in a carrot than one sublimation dose.

However, on inspection today this super (on top of BB) is now full of honey, and I am concerned that there is a residue of oxalic acid in the super, if only on the wax in the super.

. Jim

European Union Varroa Group tested this kind of cases, and they hardly found the the rise in oxalic acid content in honey. It was trickling but dosage of OA was almost same.

Situation is common. There are lots of winter food in the hive in spring, and it will be mixed more or less into honey. Most of that honey/sugar will be used to brood rearing in spring.

Last edited:
Back