Vaporising swarms?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anybody vaporise swarms, if so how and when? Would I be right in thinking hive the swarm, let it settle for a couple of days, and then go at night/early morning, shut them in and vape under the mesh? How much Oxalic do I use, does it depend on swarm size?

Treated all mine (4) this year much as you suggest ... I've got a Sublimox and used a single measure (1g) each time. A couple were casts and the queen was out and mated pretty soon afterwards. I think I treated on a wet day. One was riddled with mites, the rest were almost totally clear.

I have planned many times to trickle swarms or AS. Mostly I have had strong flow going, and my principle is that I do not treat colonies when they have yield in hives

But if you do not put at once the swarm into hive, you may wait day or two after treatment, that treatment affects.

Treat or get 10 kg honey? I have taken honey

For clarification, these are swarms either attracted to bait hives or captured. All they have is usually 10 foundationless frames to be drawn before they can store anything. I'd also prefer to rid them of the mites and their viral payload than have a bit of honey ... jam tomorrow, or rather honey.

For clarification, these are swarms either attracted to bait hives or captured. All they have is usually 10 foundationless frames to be drawn before they can store anything. I'd also prefer to rid them of the mites and their viral payload than have a bit of honey ... jam tomorrow, or rather honey.

When bees draw combs, they store honey at once. It does not go that way that they draw first ready combs, and then they start to store.

Latest posts

Back