Vaporisers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am sorry to raise this issue before most people have had their bucket and spade holiday, but my mind is turning to preparing for seasons end. I have always used Apistan at the end of season, then trickle treatment at Xmas as part of my varroa treatment. I have read a lot about using a vaporiser, both good and bad, but think I am persuaded to buy one. I would like views from others on what is the best vaporiser and where to source it and how do others cover the Open Mesh Floor to ensure the vapour does not escape through it. I apologise in advance as I suspect these questions have been posed almost annually in recent years!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my experience the vapour tends to rise up into the hive rather than fall out the mesh. I can see this clearly through a polycarbonate crownboard. I suppose if you are concerned about losing vapour it would just be a matter of sliding in your bottom screen under the floor.
My vaporiser is homemade so I can't really comment on makes and models.

Have a read of the apiarist's website here about Sublimox http://theapiarist.org/sublimox/

Pricey (about £375 delivered when I enquired recently, before the cost of supplying mains power and PPE) but everyone who has one seems very positive.

I have a varrox from Thorne. They do sell a cheaper one but that is not as robust in my opinion. I vape from under the omf having scorched brood frames on my first attempt. The floors have been deepened to accommodate the vaporiser and it sits on a metal tray cut the same size as an inspection tray. A simple towel at the back seals everything off. I've been using sublimated oxalic for four years now and won't ever go back to any of the other treatments

Last edited:
I use a DIY one and have used a Thornes £35 one.. The £35 is similar in performance but slimmer and better for getting though narrow entrances.

LI power packs on ebay..

I have a varrox from Thorne. They do sell a cheaper one but that is not as robust in my opinion. I vape from under the omf having scorched brood frames on my first attempt. The floors have been deepened to accommodate the vaporiser and it sits on a metal tray cut the same size as an inspection tray. A simple towel at the back seals everything off. I've been using sublimated oxalic for four years now and won't ever go back to any of the other treatments

Not deepened any floors, but otherwise agree. My Paines poly hive's varooa board slot is too tight to the bottom of the OMF so that one has the steel tray placed under the brood box on the stand itself with a bit more padding of towels.

I vape from under the OMF, using a Varrox, and my workshop made me some very nice stainless steel replacement inspection boards, in place of the traditional wood/correx boards. I weigh 3g of the "recommended/approved" OA and use a 70Ah car battery from my car (old battery from car). I use low tack blue for the car tape to seal, and a timer which is magnetic to stick to hive roof.

Two years ago I got an old battery from my local mechanic. Cost nothing and still going strong. Enough charge to do all my hives in one go. I put the cortex board in and seal front and back with foam strips cut from an old cushion. I got he German vaporiser off flea bay for about £40. Glo plug powered and robust.

Hi
I purchased one of eBay from a seller in Ukraine (search oxalic acid vaporizer), price was just under £31 with delivery. It works fine, I have predominantly WBC hives with mesh floors, I slide the vaporiser in so that it rests on the mesh floor, pull slides as close together as possible without touching the vaporiser rod and attach battery. I did several test to get timing right for measured dose of 1.5 and 2 grams, the vaporiser is consistent and vapour rises up into brood chamber. I did read someone trying to use beneath mesh and this did not work as the vapour condensed on the mesh.
Good luck

Hi
I purchased one of eBay from a seller in Ukraine (search oxalic acid vaporizer), price was just under £31 with delivery. It works fine, I have predominantly WBC hives with mesh floors, I slide the vaporiser in so that it rests on the mesh floor, pull slides as close together as possible without touching the vaporiser rod and attach battery. I did several test to get timing right for measured dose of 1.5 and 2 grams, the vaporiser is consistent and vapour rises up into brood chamber. I did read someone trying to use beneath mesh and this did not work as the vapour condensed on the mesh.
Good luck
It works underneath the mesh just as good,all you have to do is add a bit more OA to compensate..

Bought a varrox from Thornes, about 100 quid, strong and robust, use a 12 volt motor bike battery, can easily carry in one hand, think it was about 30 quid, + a digital scales on eBay about a fiver. Beginning to think golfing might be cheaper !

Yes I think golf may work out cheaper, but is probably more frustrating than beekeeping and offers less in terms of reward!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back