Using queen excluder to prevent swarming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Does anybody have any experience of using a queen excluder at the hive entrance in order to prevent swarming? I presume it is not a good method as nobody seems to use it. Does it lead to a build up of young Virgin queens causing a menace to the old queen?

The old queen may remain in the hive, any queen cells are torn down and the bees abandon plans to swarm.
A new queen might kill others including your old queen.
The old queen may co-exist with the daughter who supersedes her.
Your new queen won't mate as she can't get out.
The entrance will be blocked by all the drones jammed in it.

There is an excluder swarm control method.
Modern beekeeping sell one they say can be left on all season but you have to provide an alternate entrance.

Link won't post.
Just google Queen trap anti swarm system on Modern Beekeeping site

Last edited:
Does anybody have any experience of using a queen excluder at the hive entrance in order to prevent swarming? I presume it is not a good method as nobody seems to use it. Does it lead to a build up of young Virgin queens causing a menace to the old queen?

not in anyway a swarm prevention method. Swarming is a natural part of bees yearly cycle. using this would just swart the behaviour. it can be used to temporarily delay a swarm much like clipping but cannot be relyed upon to prevent swarming. just frustrated bees. I was always told work with the bees.

I tried this last year with a Hive due to Holidays
The excluder did trap the Queen as well as all of the Drones.
However it didnt stop them building Queen cells - lots of them.

I tried this last year with a Hive due to Holidays
The excluder did trap the Queen as well as all of the Drones.
However it didnt stop them building Queen cells - lots of them.
Thanks for the info. Did the drones get stuck in the excluder and block it? Also I'm wondering If the QCs get ripped down by the bees?

Try propping the excluder against the front so bees can still get through it and works as a good landing board,,, drones can find their way around the edge if they want but may confuse queen as she's only ever been out once or twice before..

Latest posts

Back