using metal in hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitbybit

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
I am currently making some boxes in anticipation of a wonderful summer - optimistic I know. I lack both decent tools and carpentry skills so I am just cutting simple rebates and I will need to add something to create the lip that will keep the frame lugs from crushing bees, the last time I did this I used some extra plastic frame runner I had and it worked out well. This time I was thinking of using a strip of metal galv band to create this lip but was wondering if this might get too cold for the bees when they are walking on it. Visions of someone licking the frozen metal pole come to mind. On the other hand we use metal mouseguards and it doesn't seem to bother the bees. Any views?

I am currently making some boxes in anticipation of a wonderful summer - optimistic I know. I lack both decent tools and carpentry skills so I am just cutting simple rebates and I will need to add something to create the lip that will keep the frame lugs from crushing bees, the last time I did this I used some extra plastic frame runner I had and it worked out well. This time I was thinking of using a strip of metal galv band to create this lip but was wondering if this might get too cold for the bees when they are walking on it. Visions of someone licking the frozen metal pole come to mind. On the other hand we use metal mouseguards and it doesn't seem to bother the bees. Any views?

All my (bought,I should add) boxes have metal runners,which seems to be galvanised steel.
I'm not saying this is the best/only solution,but my bees have survived this last winter....

Shouldn't be a problem, plenty of keepers use galvanised steel frame runners in their boxes -you can buy some ready made for around £1-£1.50 a pair. If it gets that cold in the hive I doubt the bees would be walking about on it anyway.

Thanks

Thanks everyone good to know metal is used in hives already, not too sure about the application of vaseline!!

The vaseline certainly helps to keep things moving!

Jc

Thanks everyone good to know metal is used in hives already, not too sure about the application of vaseline!!

As already noted, purpose made hardware is available to buy - cheaply.
What wasn't noted is that you could choose to buy either metal or plastic runners.

And it is quite common for beeks to put vaseline on any specific area that they'd want to avoid being propolised. Just don't get carried away ...

I use folded ally...

You could use the smaller tile edging strips, but as has been said, they are cheap enough to buy (I think CWJ are the cheapest) with galv runners you can scorch the boxes without worrying about melting them.

Thanks Jenkinsbrynmair,
That makes metal runners a very good option

Latest posts

Back