Using just top bars in national supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning as per title has any one used just the top bars with strips in honey supers?
Thanks
Why would you want to ?

I run foundationless in supers with just a starter strip and they fill the frames out ... You will find that, if you just give them a starter strip and a top bar, they will build a catenary shaped comb - they won't be particularly strong as they will only be connected to the top bar and when they are filled with honey they will break off very easily. You will also find that without a guide for them to work to they will build comb in any direction they see fit.

I do this with two equally spaced vertical wooden skewers as reinforcement. Each frame alternates with a frame of wired foundation to control brace comb. Excessive speed on extracting honey can lead to comb distortion. The method suits me but with large numbers of hives it Is probably not feasible.

I started experimenting with foundationless frames without wax starters on my brood frames after another beekeeper showed me his. Still using skewers for support but in place of wax strips I've used wooden lollipop sticks from Hobbycraft.
Placing the frame between existing drawn frames the bees are building straight comb from the stick edge.

In my experience in my TBH the bees would attach the comb to the sides of the box. I would use a carving knife to detach. It needs careful handling, always keeping the comb vertical

I've made up emergency frames from stripwood before now.Not pretty but tided me over until the next sale (Maisemores in a couple of weeks)
I also shrink down surplus space for smaller colonies with fat frames so not to use up real ones.
I cannot believe how many frames my apiary soaks up.Every time I get another pack of 50 "that will see out my beekeeping days"-they're gone.

Why would you want to ?

I run foundationless in supers with just a starter strip and they fill the frames out ... You will find that, if you just give them a starter strip and a top bar, they will build a catenary shaped comb - they won't be particularly strong as they will only be connected to the top bar and when they are filled with honey they will break off very easily. You will also find that without a guide for them to work to they will build comb in any direction they see fit.
Sounds like a Warre hive. They have top bars but no sides, the problem is the comb get's stuck to the side of the box and you then need to be able to separate it from the box to get the (quite delicate) frame out. Warre owners have a special angled knife with a long handle for the job.

https://www.rebelbees.ca/products/warre-comb-knife-couteau-a-rayons-warre

Maisie's sales start on the 23rd June - for three days
Maismores are good but due to the demand I doubt you’ll get the items as fast as you need. They’re behind on standard orders atm.
I’d try Murray for pre made boxes complete with the frames. At least you’ll save time on assembly!

When I called at modern beekeeping recently they had a load of wired frames like those, I presume they do the foundation too. May be worth an email

I've even used top-bars without side-bars as deep comb in a bait-hive. The bees didn't glue them to the side-walls and a year later, the comb is well stuck to the bar and neatly trimmed to match the framed comb size. But at hive temperature I can't safely turn the comb out of vertical or the weight would detach it from the bar.

Latest posts

Back