Using frames from a dead nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylark

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Earlier this year I bought a very weak nuc from a big company that had no queen and no brood and although I tried a new queen it was a drone layer and basically without going into too much detail the nuc recently died out probably as bees were just too old and exhausted also unable to defend from wasps.

I now have a new nuc (locally bought) and wondered if it is safe to use a couple of the drawn frames from the old one to save the new bees some work or could they be full of disease or other problems. The new nuc I've had since end of July and seems quite strong so I dont want to bring in any problems I just thought an extra drawn frame or two may let them store a bit more for winter.

Depends a bit on your attitude to risk. Your nuc didn't die of disease did it? Chances are the frames are fine. But if they look old manky brown wax it's worth replacing. If wax is pristine yellow or white then I would use them.

Chris to me it sounds a bit like WPF, a weak nuc with no queen and brood. and this place has been reported to have had EFB.

Skylark I may be wrong but this year plenty of people have had similar nucs as to the one you have described and your nuc may have just died out to lack of bees and you have no problems but is it worth the risk?

I would freeze the spare frames and use them next spring to shake a swarm into, that way you can test them for disease without risking purchased bees.

Given that (I think) you are just strating then burn them to avoid any risk.

Better safe now than sorry next year for the sake of £10.

PH

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go on the side of caution and burn them.

Latest posts

Back