Urgent! Inspect immediately after a returned swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me again, original poster, mother of the clipped queen. So, what about all that piping and the first queen out fighting and killing the queens still encased in their cells? If, when I get back home to them, the original clipped queen is lost/outside the hive, I should split and leave only 1 sealed QC, then I avert a swarm? Rather than split, couldn't I destroy all but one QC? I'm trying not to use all my spare equipment as I have an AS doing ok in my polynuc and want to keep the last spare BB incase I need to do another AS.

Can anyone follow this? I'm having difficulty in following this myself.

Me again, original poster, mother of the clipped queen. So, what about all that piping and the first queen out fighting and killing the queens still encased in their cells? If, when I get back home to them, the original clipped queen is lost/outside the hive, I should split and leave only 1 sealed QC, then I avert a swarm? Rather than split, couldn't I destroy all but one QC? I'm trying not to use all my spare equipment as I have an AS doing ok in my polynuc and want to keep the last spare BB incase I need to do another AS.

Can anyone follow this? I'm having difficulty in following this myself.

Read post #7, Hivemaker's comment. You would be safer doing a split . You could lose bees.

I thought we had all this sorted when 'jonnybeegood' had a little 'tate a tate' with several senior members. Seems at the time the
Prime swarm was headed by a mated Queen and the first out.
Prime cast was the first out and headed by a virgin.
subsequent casts would be headed by a virgin.
I'm sure JMB , Oliver90 and Pargyle was in on the discussion.
Or maybe I've read it all wrong.
Happy to be corrected after reading back to Jonnybeegood's thread with you guys.
Perhaps it wants restating with the more experienced members agreeing the categories.:)

Maybe pertinent comment from Lewis Carroll
I When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”
:hairpull:

I When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”

Never did understand that bloke. :laughing-smiley-004

Blimey G J ....your quite deep aren't you?. You've not been smoking that stuff that the caterpillar did have you?:eek::)

Latest posts

Back