urban bee keeping in south wales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beepollen

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
i need to eat more bee pollen but at twenty five pounds a kilo,its only fair on my bank manager i become a beekeeper to supplement this need,how much do i need to start up ?

Beekeeping is a time-consuming craft and there is lots to learn, so only do it if you really want to!

Basic beekeeping kit from Thornes with no bees: £150 plus VAT, but I don't know if the pollen harvest from one hive will be sufficient for you.

Floor pollen trap: £27 plus VAT, the one I preferred was a Sundance Pollen trap and it was a lot more expensive than that.

Bees: prices range from £50 to £250 for a small 5-frame colony in spring. Hard to find at the lower price.

More for equipment to extract honey, more for various bits, generally people quickly go to 2-3 colonies.

You may only get a few pounds of dried pollen from one full hive (I think I had about a pound in a week or a fortnight from the better of the three hives I tried, but that was at the peak of the season), and you may not have a full hive until your second year. It is damaging for the colony to keep taking pollen from it and so rotating between hives would be better.

but it is an interesting hobby ...

G.

cheers gavin,it's something ive wanted to do for a long time,im currently in morocco ,tasted their local bee pollen for the first time,its absolutely lovely,and im assured by the locals very healthy,the guy who sold it to me at eighteen pound a kilo looked twenty years younger than his age and reckoned he ate bee pollen everyday

Well, give it a go! I forgot to mention that you'll have to pick out the bee legs and various beasties that fall into the trap too ...

my neighbours may beg to differ,are there any issues with the council regarding permission ?

it's a possibility im looking into,or better still my uncles allotments lol

cheers gavin,it's something ive wanted to do for a long time,im currently in morocco ,tasted their local bee pollen for the first time,its absolutely lovely,and im assured by the locals very healthy,the guy who sold it to me at eighteen pound a kilo looked twenty years younger than his age and reckoned he ate bee pollen everyday

Morocco,are you sure its bee Pollen :sifone:

hehe you've obviously passed through these parts .

Hi beepollen

Make contact with some of your local clubs, many have sites that can be used by members.(Even if it's not your first choice one further afield may offer a club site)

Lot's of local clubs also run courses, and a bit of knowledge/advice obtained from a course will also help you pick a suitable site if you decide to go it alone.

Apiaries are not normally hard to come by if you go about it the right way. Particularly with a jar of honey in hand(even if it's not yours:eek:)

Regards Ian

Back