Unusual behaviour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bees are fanning, therefore thy are NOT robbing, there is a colony in there. Proably colonised by a swarm that happened when you were not at home. Opening "to check" will chill them badly, maybe kill them - it will be small as you have not seen it before. Opening breaks seals, cutting brace comb removes their draught excluders. Do not open, do not treat (another stress). If they make it through winter they will probably thrive next year, very possibly without treatment if they have made it this far.
It's going to take seconds to find out if there is a colony in there - if there is close them up and feed them .. if there isn't those hives will be toast by spring .. robbed out comb is a wax moth feast. If there are no bees in there and thriving they need sorting and sealing up.

It's going to take seconds to find out if there is a colony in there - if there is close them up and feed them .. if there isn't those hives will be toast by spring .. robbed out comb is a wax moth feast. If there are no bees in there and thriving they need sorting and sealing up.
Lift the roof off and place your hand on the crown board . Should there be a colony in there, you will detect it’s warmer than ambient .Nb it won’t be as warm as when brood is present !

Lift the roof off and place your hand on the crown board . Should there be a colony in there, you will detect it’s warmer than ambient .Nb it won’t be as warm as when brood is present !
Yes .. it's surpising how much heat they generate ... good idea. No heat then it's worth having a look.

Yes .. it's surpising how much heat they generate ... good idea. No heat then it's worth having a look.
Carry one of those pocket thermometers used for Covid testing.... if yoy do not want to risk sticking your hand in????

Carry one of those pocket thermometers used for Covid testing.... if yoy do not want to risk sticking your hand in????
Good idea, I do have one and the rain is not forecast to let up here ... pretty much ever from the looks of things and definitely won't be opening in the rain. The constant rain over the last couple of weeks is one of the reasons I would be surprised at robbing, the fanning being the other.

This is one of the situations that I find my endoscope camera useful for. Highly recommended as a beekeeping accessory (y)

This is one of the situations that I find my endoscope camera useful for. Highly recommended as a beekeeping accessory (y)
Funnily enough I have been looking at one this morning and wondering if it would be useful. I couldn't decide whether you would have enough control once it was in the entrance to see much.

"Both entrances? Two colonies or two sets of robbing?" :: The wooden hive had an entrance; the nuc had an entrance.

So both Nuc and Hive have colonies in them ? Or both were being robbed ?

We still don't know. Weather forecast is OK tomorrow in Derbyshire so frankly if we don't get confirmation by close of play tomorrow I am going over there myself to open them up, just so this thread can wind up :rolleyes:

We still don't know. Weather forecast is OK tomorrow in Derbyshire so frankly if we don't get confirmation by close of play tomorrow I am going over there myself to open them up, just so this thread can wind up :rolleyes:
Haha ... Worth a try but it rarely happens ... it will just veer off in a different direction !

07:0008:0009:0010:0011:0012:0013:0014:0015:00
Heavy rain
Light rain
Light rain
Light rain
Light rain
Cloudy
Overcast
Light rain
Light shower (day)
Not that great, with a max temp of 6 degrees. Best it's been for over a fortnight though. Might be able to sneak a peek about lunchtime and then I shall not darken the doors of this thread again. 😊

07:0008:0009:0010:0011:0012:0013:0014:0015:00
Heavy rain
Light rain
Light rain
Light rain
Light rain
Cloudy
Overcast
Light rain
Light shower (day)
Not that great, with a max temp of 6 degrees. Best it's been for over a fortnight though. Might be able to sneak a peek about lunchtime and then I shall not darken the doors of this thread again. 😊
I dunno.. it's fascinating ... bit of an enigma whatever the result is ....

Just put an ear to the side and tap....buzzzzzzz bees.......no buzzzzzzz, no bees!
Just LET US KNOW. My senses are tingling!!!!!

A half an hour gap in the rain and only going white rather than blue outside so had a peek.
Nothing at all flying down there but definitely bees in both the hive and the polynuc, not sure how many, just waited until I saw a few come up to investigate and shut up again. They were definitely empty as I checked when I put the last lot of fondant on the others but didn't have time to remove them (double contracts in Autumn as everything cancelled in Summer so been working 18 hour days to meet deadlines since mid-September) so I suspect I did see them coming in.
I can only assume a feral colony, not sure if they will have a queen present or survive the Winter but for the moment, they are there.

Or are they robbing the fondant you added. Just crack the lid and look next time your there. If there is a colony there they should have a queen or as much chance as any other hive.

Or are they robbing the fondant you added. Just crack the lid and look next time your there. If there is a colony there they should have a queen or as much chance as any other hive.
I don't think they are. There is absolutely nothing flying, nothing going in or out of the entrances and they were not on the fondant, but in the box below it. They only appeared to investigate when I let some light in. It is 4 degrees where I am and is also raining pretty persistently apart from the odd short break so they would have to be very tough to be out in this robbing.

A half an hour gap in the rain and only going white rather than blue outside so had a peek.
Nothing at all flying down there but definitely bees in both the hive and the polynuc, not sure how many, just waited until I saw a few come up to investigate and shut up again. They were definitely empty as I checked when I put the last lot of fondant on the others but didn't have time to remove them (double contracts in Autumn as everything cancelled in Summer so been working 18 hour days to meet deadlines since mid-September) so I suspect I did see them coming in.
I can only assume a feral colony, not sure if they will have a queen present or survive the Winter but for the moment, they are there.
Well ... probably been there for some time ... can't think that two swarms arrived this late in the season in which case there will almost certainly be queen present if they were swarms ... fondant may help them through and make them as cosy as you can... if you do get a reasonable day when they are flying I would be tempted to have a quick look to see how big the colony is in the full hive and possibly be prepared to dummy them down abit if small.

Latest posts

Back