unting (timing etc)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beecology

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have now completely run out of equipment and need to unite a few hives (another swarm arrived yesterday while I was out in the apiary).

I plan to unite 2 or 3 of my weakest colonies (young queens not yet laying) and wanted to know if it is best to wait to assess the queens before choosing which one to keep to head the colony?

I would have preferred to keep one or two spare queens, but have no nuc hive available at present.

The other issue is the possible disruption caused to the young queen(s) - none are laying yet but they should all have been mated by now.

Any thoughts on best course of action would be welcomed.

If you are committed to regicide, and the swarm is in the apiary already, so too late to quarantine, why not squish the incoming swarmer, OA the swarm and unite to one of your queens, keeping the whole situation under review while you figure out whether you used the right Q?

I'm not sure if I would want to unit or keep swarms too close to my hives until I can check the sealed brood

I
I plan to unite 2 or 3 of my weakest colonies (young queens not yet laying) and wanted to know if it is best to wait to assess the queens before choosing which one to keep to head the colony?

Of course you should....a no-brainer really.
If you must unite then don't unite weak colonies to each other. Unite a weak with a strong....they could use the extra bees more usefully.

Of course you should....a no-brainer really.
If you must unite then don't unite weak colonies to each other. Unite a weak with a strong....they could use the extra bees more usefully.

Good call - thanks for the replies folks

Latest posts

Back