Unexpected developments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mymwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
New beek. I now have 3 hives, one bought at auction and two from nucs. Put them on our small farm and then suffered the anxst of choosing a bad site where they few right across my daughters all-weather horse arena, result horse stung, me stung, .... bees have to move, and after just a week!

Bee inspector came, chap called Dave, was a real pleasure to watch a pro go through the three hives, smooth, quiet, gentle, well practiced, not at all like me! We found all three queens and the result was good for all three colonies.

Then came the re-location. Sought local advice, so moved up to a friends little orchard. Did the move on my own, which was challenging, and had no leaks or disasters. It was quite worrying but seemed to go ok. I had been feeding the nucs ambrosia so I continued this.

The auction bought colony was the one that did the stinging at home. When the insp checked them they started off a little aggresive but soon settled down as they were smoked. As they were rather congested he agreed with a suggestion that the supplier had made, that I add a 1/2 brood (super) above the brood box, to encourage the brood to expand. This we did. A few days later I movd them to the orchard. As it was a new area, i gave them a syrup filled feeder (wooden type) above the honey super. So, now we have from the bottom, varroa floor, brood box, brood super, queen excl, honey super, feeder, crown board, roof.

8 days after move I went to open them today, which is the reason for this post, to gather thoughts. Today, bit rainy, very little traffic to and from the entrance. A couple of days after installing there was a lot of traffic. Checks on nucs went fine, even found one queen. Then came the established colony...:smash:

Smoked entrance, waited couple of minutes. Opened up. Honey super filling nicely, but then... on checking the 1/2 brood I found it had been well drawn but then filled with stores!! The feeder was empty by the way. No brood at all in the 1/2 brood box. Just drawn comb and store. By this time they were not pleased with my presence. It was starting to rain so I decided to call a halt before looking into the brood box. Gloves were picking up stings as was the suit. Noise was escalating as well.

I'm guessing I shouldnt have fed them the syrup, as this encouraged them to store it, and as the super was the easiest place thats what they used? So I need a plan. Remove that super and start again? Put an escape under it to draw the bees down first (as the Q could be amongst the frames) maybe? Or insert a fresh super above the brood, raise this store filled super and put an escape under it (will the Q do through the escape??). Then once the bees are all down one level, put the Q excluder above the newly inserted 1/2 brood box.:redface:

What do you think? Its no wonder people find this hobby so absorbing. Logical problem solving challenges, husbandry and a crop to harvest. Great fun!!

Martyn

leave your super brood box where it is
put QE above it ( not forgetting bee space under it!)
put another super above that with drawn comb
crown board
feeder if you wish
eke and lid

Bees will use super brood space as the clear it of stores for brood... probably

you can move up to a double brood box later if necessary, putting the super brood above the QE atop the second brood box.... only problem is you will need to watch out for drones trapped above the QE !

Well that what I have done in the past.........

a question tho... if the feeder hole is left open in the crown board can drones escape through the bee escapes... if fitted or are they (drones) too big to escape?????

They obviously feel they have enough room for brood. How many frames of brood are they covering in the BB?
Personally, if they were already working a super I would not be feeding, especially if they were doing as well as you suggest. I'd have added the super for stores not as 1/2 brood. The bees get extra room and the BB is freed up for laying.

8 frames with brood in the main box. well there was last week anyway. so, they will eat the store in the 1/2 brood and then use it for brood space...? Hmm, clearly i shouldnt panic

hopit

My reading of martyn's excellently detailed description is that the QE is already above the super brood box.

As they're a tad unfriendly I'd suggest he leaves them alone for a week or so after adding another super with foundation on top?

martyn,

I know exactly what you mean when you describe being stung through the gloves! For my current difficult hive I'm wearing Sainsburys extra heavy duty lined rubber gloves (£3.40)

richard

"As they're a tad unfriendly I'd suggest he leaves them alone for a week or so after adding another super with foundation on top?"

sorry, i dont quite follow? would that go above the honey super? so, from the bottom up it would be floor, bb, current bs, qe, hs, new super, roof??

I would, tomorrow, Take off the roof and crown board. Put the super of stores on the roof, Lift the brood box off and put on the crown board.

Put your stores super on the floor, then the brood box, then the excluder and then a super whether foundation or drawn it matters not.

Then leave for a week or so.

PH

I would add that i was extremely grateful to the practical lessons afforded by Gwent BKA who not olny did exams on easy bees but also taught us with difficult bees. The exp today was quite intimidating but, thanks to the lessons I kept calm and carried on. Only one sting at my inner right elbow penetrated (leather gloves being a newbie) and that was only a graze. Interestingly, they made no attempt to follow me and within 30m I was clear of all bees. When I returned to pick up my smoker they bombed me a bit but soon gave up as I walked away again...

super under the brood? that would encourage use of the stores and the queen to start colonising it I guess?

It will give you the extra brood space and the clean sup on top.

PH

sounds very logical, thanks

hopit

My reading of martyn's excellently detailed description is that the QE is already above the super brood box.

:iagree:

it is icanhopit.... hopit was the Wolverhampton AJS factory tellegraphic address!

Poly Hives method would be a good solution as they will be on 10 frames before you know it! and will need the space
keep a weather eye out for the nectar flow... although it would not appear with such a boyant colony they will starve!

not worthyStill like to know everyones take on drones and bee escapes... not wishing to adulterate your threadnot worthy

did as suggested today. moved the brood super from above to below the brood box. scraped the sealed stores (lots of) being careful not to dislodge the Q. reassembled putting the honey super on top. the honey super ws well drawn but had little stored in it, the bb had 8 frames of brood, eggs, larvae etc. bees were a little narky but not as bad as before. plan to give at a week and see if its worked,

mart

Latest posts

Back