Unexpected Bee Gum.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
As I was about to walk the dogs a vehicle pulled up and the local Ducal Estate forester got out and asked me if I could help with bees in a tree.

He drove me over to the felling site and a very large old ash is on the ground with bees evident in one of the branches. Said branch is a good 2 feet across.

He is off to trim up the branch and nail it closed with plywood and where would I like it delivered? I mean how good does it get?

Talk about expecting the unexpected!

PH

It's a bit bigger than I was hoping for. Oh well...

Just realised there is not much perspective there. The log is some 5ft long and two feet+ thick. Not a lightweight by any means.

PH

Attachments

• Log hive.jpg
    Log hive.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
As I was about to walk the dogs a vehicle pulled up and the local Ducal Estate forester got out and asked me if I could help with bees in a tree.

He drove me over to the felling site and a very large old ash is on the ground with bees evident in one of the branches. Said branch is a good 2 feet across.

He is off to trim up the branch and nail it closed with plywood and where would I like it delivered? I mean how good does it get?

Talk about expecting the unexpected!

PH

Expect a visit from Derekm.

Now on location

I was delighted to discover the log fitted my little trailer to the inch. After a careful drive from Harestanes to Lanton I pushed the log around the house and then contemplated how to get it up over the retaining wall and onto the lawn.

Utilising my chain hoist and a goodly length of rope secured to the big gean tree enough pull was applied to allow the bottom of the log to reasonably easily swing up onto the grass. With a lot of help from my wife, I managed to get it back into the vertical and with the sack truck rolled it over the 50 yds or so to where you see it now.

The picture showing the bees was taken an hour or so after locating the log and the bees are murmuring deep inside with the more venturesome taking orientation flights. The entrance is at the top on the right hand side.

Yes there is a disease risk and time will tell on that front but as they have been in there for some time judging by the colour of some of the combs it's unlikely.

PH

Attachments

• DSCF2304a.jpg
    DSCF2304a.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • DSCF2307a.jpg
    DSCF2307a.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back