Under or Over?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Out of my 3 colonies, 1 will be overwintered on double brood and 2 will have a BB + super.

for those who overwinter with a super, will you place this Under or Over the BB?

most of my colonies are 14x12 so they have plenty of room on their own, however last year i did overwinter a standard national BB with a super under. no particularly scientific reason, but my theory was that as the weather got colder the Q and cluster would remain in the upper part of the BB itself and come the New Year start to lay within the BB. If the super was above the BB then there could be the minor inconvenience in spring of brood in a super which would need some manipulations. Others may advise differently, but it worked for me!

I do it under so any ivy stores in the super get used up by the time spring comes around.

I'm not too bothered about ivy in the BB.

super is on top now and being filled with stores
will go under bbs for winter and then back on top in spring
looks prettier that way
and makes me feel as if I am doing something!

Under - to provide some protection to BB from icy blasts on top of 4-storey roof.

Neither, I am only over-wintering 1 colony on std Nat BB and have decided that they can cram in as much as they like to the BB and I'll over-winter them with a monitored slab of fondant on from end Oct - 'spring' as the insurance.

Unless you have supers to spare I am unconvinced that you can re-cycle a wintered super (with QE removed) ready for honey use with an autumn planted rape crop - and next year I am surrounded by it. This years over-wintered rape came into flower 2nd week April around these parts.

For simplicity and critical mass I prefer 14x12, which is what the other 4 are on (no extra supers of course). R

Under - to provide some protection to BB from icy blasts on top of 4-storey roof.

Have you considered side planking to your stands, good draught protection and also forces a useful mite drop distance to the ground - or are siting straight on the hard standing given you are on a roof?

for those who overwinter with a super, will you place this Under or Over the BB?
Around here, opinion is divided.

I'll just get the popcorn.:)

The cluster starts wintering in the place where is last brood.
Bets oder is that start is lowest. So cluster climp up during the winter.

If the cluster starts in the middle, the food may be end for bees even if there are plenty down stairs.

I put capped medium on top. If it is uncapped, I put it down. Bees move uncapped to the centre where brood has emerged and capped remain topmost.

When would those who put the super below the BB do the change? as I'm still feeding with the super on top?

I can convince you - First inspection, super taken away from under the brood. result an empty super. It works. Unless I am doing double brood, I under-super and it works for me.

Mmmm, each to their own of course but you need that super full, so you'll have it on top to fill presumably and then switch below at some point. To ensure stores are fully utilised you then want the bees to move back down ???? They prob dont want to do that come mid Oct or when ever you do the switch. Hence my assumption that your extra super is on top for over-wintering to ensure it is utilised when needed - so will be occupied last - and needs clearing down before re-cycling.

I feel more comfortable with a 14x12 and a dob of fondant if required.

I think RichieD is asking when does the super go under.

I swopped mine over this weekend past. Anytime between now and before it gets too cold to expose them unnecessarily.

BL

Thanks Beeline that is what I wanted to know, I shall do the swap in the next week putting the supper below and then swap back during the first spring inspection next year. This is my first year so I'm still learning. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back