under floor entrance with solid floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeogi75

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 nationals
three new under floor entrances but with soil floors
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DSC_0244.jpg
    DSC_0244.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0245.jpg
    DSC_0245.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 84
They look great.
Do you think solid floors are a wasp deterrent? Like....the wasps won't smell the honey as easily?

could be one reason the smell of the hive vapour filtering out of the open floor maybe,
but the reason is my farther ran solid floors which he tried open floors and had poor results and swopped back to solid floors, which when I started keeping bees I ran his open mesh floors and soon swopped over to solid floors, now im making under floor solid floors, I don't seem to get along with open mesh floors.

well think about it if your got a fully open entrance and a mesh floor, the air will push out a plume of hive smell for the wasps to follow from a good distance away, that's just my thinking after stopping mass attack on my hives and mating nucs , wiped out four mating nucs and two newly put into hives , which of course are week and put wasp bane traps to stop them which they have stopped the onslaught, maybe not for everyone but works for me.

I agree. I've gone back to solid floors and my results have improved visibly.

I might try a solid floor next season

My under floor entranced floors are open meshed but have properly fitted drawers for inspection duties plus allowing me to vape below the mesh .
I over Winter with the drawers in .
Best of all worlds ! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If I was making underfloor entrances with a solid floor I'd put the entrance in the centre of the hive.

If I was making underfloor entrances with a solid floor I'd put the entrance in the centre of the hive.

Could you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Similar rational to the setback of the jbm type.
Bees enter the hive centrally ie. More bees nearerto their goal, wasps etc are forced to enter at the most heavily populated areas having navigated a longer tunnel.

you can adapt it to having the entrance exit come out at the rear which will give even a longer tunnel.

Latest posts

Back