Under floor entrance plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering why you use such thick timber 38mm as opposed to the 22mm usually.given for national floors.

Just wondering why you use such thick timber 38mm as opposed to the 22mm usually.given for national floors.

Convenience and sturdiness, I use the stuff for studded walls. These are only for the sides and four inch planks form the porch. Mine are different in design and the OMF is only a 9"x10" area in the centre and with the inspection board in it is totally sealed for OAV. These floors are far sturdier than the usual floors.

Just read the construction details. Do you need to have a landing board?

Just read the construction details. Do you need to have a landing board?

You don't absolutely need to incorporate a landing board but if you have one it's easier to see what's going in and out. If it extends beyond the outline of the box, it can cause minor problems when storing this in a stack with other brood and honey boxes.

CVB

This type of floor can be used to retain heat in insulated hives by increasing the vertical distance between the bees and the nearest opening.

This type of floor can be used to retain heat in insulated hives by increasing the vertical distance between the bees and the nearest opening.

Wouldn't that equate to reduced ventilation ?

Wouldn't that equate to reduced ventilation ?

I would think he's referring to distance acting as a thermal barrier rather than reducing ventilation .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

underfloor entrance

hi seen your plans but for some reason they are not down loading do you know what the problem is

Tunnel entrances are better.

My latest underfloor has a tunnel entrance before the vertical.. about 25% in from the side of front..

Note I have no designs or plans..:rules:

Your opinion - FWIW

My opinion does not count but the bees do..this season gone i was watching wasps enter the under floor entrance hives fairly regularly... they tried the tunnel entrances and very few succeeded... i wish i had took pictures but the amount of dead wasps outside the under floor entrances was shocking... the tunnel entrances had very few.. all the colonies where fairly strong and even..

I have a load of wood to make underfloor entrances but i will be ripping it down and making standard floors from now on.. with tunnel entrances..

Convenience and sturdiness,

:iagree: the floors take a hammering with no negative effect - the thin timbers on commercial floors is more about cost than anything else. also, if you use 4x1" planed timbers (I like deep sides on my floors) there is more chance of them warping and cracking. One length of 4x2" CLS timber (doesn't need planing, and no more expense to get them tanalised) costs around a tenner and makes five pairs of sides.

My opinion does not count but the bees do..this season gone i was watching wasps enter the under floor entrance hives fairly regularly... they tried the tunnel entrances and very few succeeded... i wish i had took pictures but the amount of dead wasps outside the under floor entrances was shocking... the tunnel entrances had very few.. all the colonies where fairly strong and even..

I have a load of wood to make underfloor entrances but i will be ripping it down and making standard floors from now on.. with tunnel entrances..

Sounds like the under floor was helping them kill the wasps whilst the tunnel wasn't!
Only going by your description
E

Latest posts

Back