Unconfirmed AFB N Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBG

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Polystyrene & lots more next year again hopefully
We just received an unconfirmed report of AFB at a place in N Devon.

Hives being destroyed and quarantine in place we're told.

Not on BEEbase yet - odd??

Apart from don't visit, which we don't as that became untenable last year for this type of possibility.

Any dos and don'ts?

Can you be a bit more specific? - town e.g. I have good reason for asking.

AFB is considered a colony disease, not an apiary disease, so you have to work hard to spread it, unlike EFB. Easiest way is to move material or hive parts from contaminated colonies to non contaminated ones.

AFB is considered a colony disease, not an apiary disease, so you have to work hard to spread it, unlike EFB. Easiest way is to move material or hive parts from contaminated colonies to non contaminated ones.

That's exactly the way the operation was run!

I have checked my association website and there is no info on this. I have spoken to several other beeks around and no one knows anything.

I would be interested to know any further information anyone has regarding a specific area.

Name of your area?

Anybody know how long it takes for this type of event to be reported on National Bee Unit??

We just received an unconfirmed report of AFB at a place in N Devon.

It will not appear on beebase until they have the definite positive from the lab. The inspectors may KNOW its a find, and be taking pre-emptive measures, but until the lab reports it does not appear.

And then there is the rumour mill...................

Have heard horrendous tales about the afflictions of others, and by circuitous routes, my own outfit. Wait till you see the official facts.

ITLD

Thanks for that, now see why it hasn't appeared on NBU, but, it's a week old so it goes. .....

Also pretty grim the lab doesn't same day it - very poor!

Re same day result from lab - not alwsys that easy to do bacteriology in one day. Samples have to get from devon to york first then testing starts. anyone know how they perform confirmatory test? What is the turnaround time?

anyone know how they perform confirmatory test?

I would have thought less than this thread is suggesting. Microscopy would be the first I would think, but there would be others.

And then there is the rumour mill...................

Maybe it is a case of rumours being spread, like on this forum, here, right now.

Even with AFB, there is no compulsory hive destruction, so the rumours are not so accurate.

If true, it will be confirmed and there will already be stand-still enforcements in place, even when only suspected, I would think. So it may be one isolated case, multiple hives/sites involved or just a rumour............

I am sure the bee inspectors would be busy around the outbreak area, given a week or more to get organised.

Even with AFB, there is no compulsory hive destruction, so the rumours are not so accurate.

Unnecessarily pedantic, and possibly misleading. The only legal treatment for AFB in the UK is destruction of the colony. This does not need to include burning of the boxes, as long as all bees, combs, covers, etc. are burnt, but I'm happy that conversationally it would be reported that "hives are being destroyed".

Why is it not on Beebase yet? Could just be a rumour. No offence to the OP, but let's have somebody stand up and give their name and contact details, and the precise location of the outbreak and the number of hives affected... or just treat it as an unconfirmed rumour :)

AFB does not spread rapidly, not even by robbing. If there is an outbreak identified and destruction is underway by the inspectors then I would say there is nothing to panic about; certainly as ITLD said the rumour mill will make black white and night day if you are not careful!

RAB - gossip and rumour is usually malicious in intention.

There is no malice here, only concern for our stock, other beekeepers and their bees.
----- ----
I was pleased to receive the warning in order to protect my own stock. This, particularly because of circumstances that hold the possibility of spread in my direction. Even common sense husbandry is not practiced by certain places - we know this for a fact - though appreciate even the fastidious are sometimes blighted.

We hope others would also flag any reasonably well-founded hearsay in the spirit of helping. If this proves empty - wonderful! At this time of the year stocks are sold to those who want them, and conjecture:

this raises the possibility that diseased stock, owned by beginners, is now in circulation - beginners aren't too hot on swarm control and are often persuaded to buy second-hand equipment ..............

An easy to read is here:

http://tinyurl.com/d6e8nwe

But being American one of the treatments they advocate involves antibiotics. It is legal in America, but not here in the UK. It is a short-sighted treatment as it suppresses the causative organism, rather than destroying it.

Much more relevant information is available here, from the National Bee Unit.

I had a very interesting conversation with well-known researcher Mark Goodwin a couple of years ago. He had set up various scenarios to demonstrate to beekeepers that they were the primary vector for AFB transmission between their colonies. One experiment involved running a full season in a static apiary of ~100 colonies, paired with one AFB positive and one uninfected next to each other on each hive stand. Basic hygiene was rigorously employed within the apiary, and at the end of the season not one uninfected colony had become infected.

Yes, the risk of unknowingly buying an infected nuc is always there, but I'm not sure what precautions anyone would take to protect their established colonies from AFB if/when it was identified in the general area.

I'm not saying you're wrong to be concerned, just saying that whilst it is a serious disease, the chances of spread are very low.

But being American one of the treatments they advocate involves antibiotics. It is legal in America, but not here in the UK. It is a short-sighted treatment as it suppresses the causative organism, rather than destroying it.

Much more relevant information is available here, from the National Bee Unit.

I had a very interesting conversation with well-known researcher Mark Goodwin a couple of years ago. He had set up various scenarios to demonstrate to beekeepers that they were the primary vector for AFB transmission between their colonies. One experiment involved running a full season in a static apiary of ~100 colonies, paired with one AFB positive and one uninfected next to each other on each hive stand. Basic hygiene was rigorously employed within the apiary, and at the end of the season not one uninfected colony had become infected.

Yes, the risk of unknowingly buying an infected nuc is always there, but I'm not sure what precautions anyone would take to protect their established colonies from AFB if/when it was identified in the general area.

I'm not saying you're wrong to be concerned, just saying that whilst it is a serious disease, the chances of spread are very low.

Yes, of course antibiotics are no BUT there are those who have stock-piled and use these and will continue to use them irrespective - see below for NZ beekeepers.

Don't see why that NBU link is more relevant when you want more info on AFB, its causes etc ????

I take it you mean Dr Mark Goodwin who said that in his lecture at the NHS a couple of years ago . He mentioned that beekeepers couldn't be trusted to sterilise equipment correctly, which is why in New Zealand it is mandatory that infected hives et al are dumped in a pit and burned, under supervision. Result was that NZ had reduced incidences of AFB.

Levels of concern depend on what you know about a particular situation, how close it is to you and how badly it could affect your stock and you.

Ref:

"not sure what precautions anyone would take to protect their established colonies from AFB "

As a start, hygiene, husbandry and not allowing other beekeepers near our colonies OR visit any other apiary. If buying in, even Queens, apart from one supplier, everything goes to quarantine for a couple of months.

If Bee Inspector needed to visit during an outbreak elsewhere, he wears and uses equipment we provide. We do our best to protect our stock and others, which is why we scrub our wellingtons before leaving one farm and going to another, in fact have a specific pair for a particular site.

This is how we proceed and we can but try but the spectre is always present.

And quoting these erudites:

http://tinyurl.com/d6e8nwe

"The reason this disease is so serious is that the spores can remain viable and last indefinitely on beekeeping equipment. It is extremely contagious and spreads easily on contaminated equipment, hive tools, and beekeeper’s hands. A beekeeper’s best way to manage AFB is to avoid it."

GOOD advice BBG... we have a r u m o u r e d outbreak not far from here ( but far enough !!) on the Bere Peninsular on the other( Devon) side of the Great Grey Greasy Mighty Tamar River... all set about with social housing.....

Bee safaris ... so popular with some associations... are now off limits for us for the present and future... I am not even sure of the popular apiary visits at all!

Where can I lay my hands on a mobile walk through GAMMA radiation steraliser?

GOOD advice BBG... we have a r u m o u r e d outbreak not far from here ( but far enough !!) on the Bere Peninsular on the other( Devon) side of the Great Grey Greasy Mighty Tamar River... all set about with social housing.....

Bee safaris ... so popular with some associations... are now off limits for us for the present and future... I am not even sure of the popular apiary visits at all!

Where can I lay my hands on a mobile walk through GAMMA radiation steraliser?

Faslane? The way this government is making the services redundant there may be a few going cheap!:mad:

Icanhopit

"Where can I lay my hands on a mobile walk through GAMMA radiation steraliser"

With Devonport so close you are already! :cool:

TBRNoTB

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Love it!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Don't see why that NBU link is more relevant when you want more info on AFB, its causes etc ????

Since it gives good detail in the context of the UK inspection service and UK legislation controlling treatments, it's always the first reference I'd recommend.

Latest posts

Back