uncapping rollers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mainly used for heather honey, I believe.

This week Lidl and Aldi will be selling hot air guns for £9.99
Used very quickly on 'dry' (white) cappings, I think it is a wonderful method (for 'normal' honey). Only drawback is no prime quality "cappings wax" for making cosmetics, etc
Just put out some newspaper to catch the wax spatter (the cappings should be blasted outwards), be quick, keep the very very hot gun moving … and don't even think of using it on 'wet' (semi-transparent) cappings - you'll heat and spoil the honey, because there isn't any trapped air to explosively expand on heating, and the method just doesn't work.

I now use a heat shrink gun which is ideal I started with a hot air gun eg paint stripper which is too hot for heat shrink and my heat shrink gun is too cool for paint stripping but its even better for decapping although rather expensive tool compared to hot air gun! But just in case you have one!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

does anyone have any experience of uncapping rollers?

I don't have any personal experience, but I know two beekeepers who have tried them and both find that the spikes soon get clogged with bits of wax and are soon ineffective - not easy to clean down either. Both have abandoned them - the next equipment sale has been mentioned!!!

I use an Aldi heat gun - very good, much better than uncapping rollers. Use as per ITMA's post. I use a bread knife to uncap the frames where the capping has sunk - e.g. ivy honey in brood frames left over from autumn, if and when I have to free up space in the brood nest in Spring (not if crystallized!).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back