Uncapping knife versus uncapping fork.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knife - quicker and far less messy than fassassing around than a fork
Helps to have an even surface on the comb for the next crop as well
Thank-you...that leads to my other question posted elsewhere. After the honey has been extracted, and if the comb has been drawn unevenly, would you trim it back?

Thank-you...that leads to my other question posted elsewhere. After the honey has been extracted, and if the comb has been drawn unevenly, would you trim it back?
I've done it in the past - use a serrated uncapping knife or a decent bread saw, end of the cells get a bit tatty - but the bees soon sort that out.

I don't bother, just put wide spacers on. Let them get as much honey in one frame as possible. But I use a heat gun

Knife first then any uneven patches finished of with fork. I've found you get more and finer wax that blocks filters quicker with knife only use. typically I use a course then finer filter (0.5 mm), before leaving to settling out

But on older wax cappings it takes a bit longer or scratch with fork as the wax reseals. But fresh white cappings pop off very quick.

I use an uncapping fork.
I used to see this part of beekeeping as a chore, and would use a knife in an effort to get it over with as quickly as possible, even though I was damaging wax comb.
Then one day I realised that this was another area of beekeeping I should be enjoying.
The honey harvest
I know it's different for people with lots of hives or limited time.
But for someone who keeps bees for a hobby I like to take my time and enjoy it.
I put on the radio, make a cup of tea, make sure doors and windows are shut
Then I begin.

I've bought one of these to try this year ... I've always used a combination of uncapping knife and an uncapping fork ... but the length of time it took last year I thought I'd try something different. If it works as well as in the video then it will halve my uncapping time at least ...

My old carving knife works as well as that on new , flat comb, like he is using.
Yes... I don't get many frames like that - foundationless tends to be a bit thicker and a little more lumpy ... I will sort the frames into the 'quick slice and job's done' and the rest.

Latest posts

Back