Un-reachable swarm into bait box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackstraw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a swarm which arrived this afternoon and is under the eaves of a house, about 25 feet up. I am brave but not brave enough nor insured to take that one on.
I have in mind putting a bait hive down and seeing if I can attract them.
I have access to several nearby colonies and having read that bees will never ignore unattended brood I wondered whether it was worthwhile putting a frame of brood from another colony into the bait box, leaving it on the ground directly underneath the swarm and waiting to see if they find it.
I'm guessing the only thing I have to lose is a frame of brood.
What do the bee-sages think my chances of success are?
Thanks

Is this a first stage swarm or a second stage swarm where they have set up home in the roof, if the latter you have no hope. If the former little hope! But try some lemon grass oil.

E

I have a swarm which arrived this afternoon and is under the eaves of a house, about 25 feet up. I am brave but not brave enough nor insured to take that one on.

Thanks

Pshaw! 25 feet is nothing - get up there with a ladder and a bag.

Where in Kent is this swarm that you aren't confident in reaching?

Speed is of the essence, before they find a way into the roof. Once they have set up home, they won't come out unless evicted.

Thanks.

Thanks for your replies. Pole and pillow case implemented. Swarm dislodged, and subsequently caught.
Good advice, as ever
Warm regards
Jack

Latest posts

Back