Ulster observation hive plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cork beek

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi, I recently started making my own supers and nucs and I'm thinking my next project has to be an observation hive. I had a look around and decided that a "Ulster Observation Hive" would suit me best, and by adding a exit out the side via a hose pipe, I could keep it in the house if I wanted.

Im wondering if anyone has come across plans for this type of hive or maybe you have made one your self?

Thanks

Kevin

One of the other forum members - BigLongDarren knows the chap who designed this observation hive and it has been marketed in the USA as the Ulster Observation Hive in recognitionof its origins..... the designer is still waiting for his royalties though!

I bought an 14x12 observation hive from tom Bick but I think that he does not make them anymore

i think you will find an ulster obsevation too small for a colony or even run as a colony because you only have one frame ( ie the one behind the glass) above the Queen excluder

it is more normal to use it with frames from a donor hive that are put in the observation hive just for a day ( closed) or few days ( open) while it is being used for schools or fetes etc

alternatively you can run a Nuc and for observation move the queen and her frame up and repalce in the space below with a frame feeder, but again only for a day as the queen will be on a single frame above the QE and can fill that in a day with eggs

remember it does not have any supers, so a strong flow can cause mayhem even in a day if it is left open, closed after 24hrs the bees will start getting grumpy and start getting bored and destroy comb and larva

Last edited:
One of the other forum members - BigLongDarren knows the chap who designed this observation hive and it has been marketed in the USA as the Ulster Observation Hive in recognitionof its origins..... the designer is still waiting for his royalties though!

Ouch thats gotta hurt! :p

I wonder if he would give me the plans :D

alternatively you can run a Nuc and for observation move the queen and her frame up and repalce in the space below with a frame feeder, but again only for a day as the queen will be on a single frame above the QE and can fill that in a day with eggs

Thats what i was gonna do, run it off a nuc and when the colony became to big move them to a proper Brood Box and then use a different nuc :D

Is it a new invention? I thought it looked remarkably similar to one made by Thorn8s. They've been making them for years......

I am also interested in building one of these for one day shows and presentations..
As it seems, it can be fairly easy done with two nuc 5-framed hives, using one as the base unit and cutting-converting the other to be placed on top.

The ones ive seen are a display unit on top of a 5 frame nuc which are the ones id like to (try) to make :)

Is it a new invention? I thought it looked remarkably similar to one made by Thorn8s. They've been making them for years......

Just saw your query so apologies for the delay in replying. No, Joe the chap who made the original "Ulster Observation Hive"has been using his for a long time. As for the original source of inspiration, who knows! They have been made in America under the name of Ulster Observation Hive for over a decade AFAIK.

I have four frames in my indoor obs hive. Two up two down. All brood frames.

Plastic tube thro the wall.

Last year was the first full year and it is still doing well.

When it starts to get full I take two frames out from one side and replace with new ones, and put the full ones in a nuc.
Dont use hinged main glass door panels...Why? because you cant see how many bees you are squashing when you close it. Mine are screwed on, and the bees use their own sealer on the inside.
No problem overwintering.
One thing you have to work out if you are having the hive indoors is a double door system so you can remove the hive from the stand (if you have one,) without bees escaping into the house........or at least not too many. The two "doors" have to be as close to each other as possible so that there are no loose bees between them, or as few as possible.
I did think that I might be able to close off the entrance in the morning of the day that I wanted to take the hive outside to work on it, but they get very agitated when they dont have any fresh air and start rushing about and making the hive very warm.
My hive rotates on a plastic push fit waste pipe connector.

Any Plans available for this? It seems like a very good design. More stable than a standard obs hive and better for the bees. I'd love to have ago at making one, but I'd struggle, waste a lot of wood and swear a lot without plans. Are they available? - or photos showing the structure. If I had photos I could "build" it in Sketchup and get plans that way.

Hi SixFooter,

Ive managed to find some plans which use Sketchup and the files are free to download. I dont have them on me at the mo, but ill have a look when i get home and post it up here for ya

Meant to put this up for ya Sixfooter, so sorry it took so long! :banghead:

http://bees.libhart.com/?p=172

he uses Google Sketchup as well and has some very good close up pictures.

you can also download image files with the measurements and the Sketchup file

Latest posts

Back