Two queens from the same nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I have a nuc. There is no queen.
There are at least 5 queen cells and they are on different frames. They are not closed yet.

After they are closed (before haching), is it safe to move a frame with closed queen cells to another nuc with a few bees and brood from another hive.
What I am trying to achieve is to have two hives as quick as possible. That way I will have two queens soon and they will start laying eggs soon.

Thanks,

It is a new nuc.
I created this nuc from another strong hive. When I saw many queen cells in this nuc, I thought why can't I have one more colony (I have a spare hive in the shed).
Thanks

It is a new nuc.
I created this nuc from another strong hive. When I saw many queen cells in this nuc, I thought why can't I have one more colony (I have a spare hive in the shed).
Thanks
So when did you split this Nuc from your strong hive ? If you split it further you may have to add some more frames/bees or you might be giving them too much space to cope with. You might consider dummying the second nuc you are going to create and the original one down to 3 frames to start with as they are going to be a bit thin on the ground. Alternatively, donate some frames of emerging brood from your main colony.

Thanks @pargyle,
When I create the next nuc, I will be taking only a frame with closed queen cells from the current nuc. Then I will add some bees and 3/4 emerging brood from the main colony to the next nuc I am going to make.
Thanks

3/4 emerging brood from the main colony to the next nuc I am going to make.
Are you going to have anything left in the original hive? Personally as it's only mid-April, I would leave this nuc as it is and do another split later on in the season.

Latest posts

Back