Tv program

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all any see the program on bees yesterday . If so can you give us the name of it then I can watch it on catch up cheers Neil

here's a link

I've just watched it on ITVplayer - here's the link; https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/tonight/series-17/episode-19-plan-bee-tonight

What struck me was the total disagreement between campaign groups and the government over whether or not evidence existed that proved that neonics were harming bees.

Heidi was interviewed for the programme but thankfully no presenters were stung on prime-time television this time!

Thanks for the link and the heads up biglad, just watched it and I think Heidi pretty much summed it up for me.

and guess who was in it telling everybody that they are doing it all wrong and thier methods are the only way to save the honey bee by allowing them to swarm everywhere..

It's interesting that they chose not to interview someone from the BBKA.

But pretty good overview of the many factors arrayed against bees, most programs i've seen blame one thing but the documentary maker did pretty well I think.

M

and guess who was in it telling everybody that they are doing it all wrong and thier methods are the only way to save the honey bee by allowing them to swarm everywhere..

Actually she didn't ... Her position was very reasonable - she said that a lot of the problems bees face are the result of what we are doing to the planet - a sentiment that will find some support amongst most beekeepers. You should watch it again ....

I have watched it..Heidi was very reasonable.. and on the whole the program was pretty balanced...

Heidi was pretty reasonable I agree, however letting your bees swarm is impractical for most beekeepers who have day jobs or school in my case so the alternative is to perform artificial swarms and to make up nucs rather than chase swarms across the countryside.

Going 'treatment free' is also quite risky as it could lead to a loss of a colony that is worth at least £200 to a beekeeper.

What wasn't covered was the cost to farmers that the neonic ban will incur and the greater tension between beekeepers and farmers as they blame us for their financial troubles. even those of us who don't agree with the vote!

but as I said earlier, the documentary was better than most and wasn't a load of rubbish about big business wanting to destroy the environment in the pursuit of profit.

M

What wasn't covered was the cost to farmers that the neonic ban will incur and the greater tension between beekeepers and farmers as they blame us for their financial troubles. even those of us who don't agree with the vote!

M

Wasn't it Adam from Countryfile who said having bee's on the farm increases crop yield by 15% therefore I'd wager its pretty much quid pro quo.

Just my 2 cents

It was James that said it would increase the crop yield.

15% increase in yield is definitely a reason to get bees, but pesticides prevent total crop failure due to destructive pests. so the neonic ban will only lead to farmers using older pesticides because they need to protect their crops so killing off a certain number of bees is inevitable as they try to feed their families.

But as I said I did enjoy the program.

M

15% increase in yield is definitely a reason to get bees, but pesticides prevent total crop failure due to destructive pests. so the neonic ban will only lead to farmers using older pesticides because they need to protect their crops so killing off a certain number of bees is inevitable as they try to feed their families.

But as I said I did enjoy the program.

M

Problem is that, for years, farmers have taken the prophylactic approach to pests - it's a bit like putting poison down for rats just in case rats take up residence. We would be far better off (as many do in beekeeping these days) if farmers started treating when there is evidence that they need to treat. I cannot believe that every field of OSR in the country would be completely infested with pollen beetles if it were grown without seeds impregnated with neonics. I could, almost, live with older style pesticides if they were used just where infestation was evident and on the basis that notices to advise of spraying were posted. But ... I really do not believe the 'total crop failure without neonics' argument.

Trouble is, regardless of the facts beekeepers are being blamed now for the whole thing - was talking to the Wales director of the CLA yesterday and he was shocked to learn that it was not as black and white as he believed (most CLA members with an interest are damning beekeepers) He is thinking of contacting beekeeping interests and trying to set the record straight and hopefully trying to find a middle ground

It's interesting that they chose not to interview someone from the BBKA.

But pretty good overview of the many factors arrayed against bees, most programs i've seen blame one thing but the documentary maker did pretty well I think.

M

Maybe, but it's difficult to separate elements of BBKA and Bayer, sometimes...

Actually she didn't ... Her position was very reasonable - she said that a lot of the problems bees face are the result of what we are doing to the planet - a sentiment that will find some support amongst most beekeepers. You should watch it again ....

Agreed, Dishmop's paraphrasing is not accurate at all! Which show were you watching? It's usually a good idea to listen to what people actually say rather than what you think they might say.

Back