Tree Planting suggestions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hive13

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
My local council ( in Dublin, Ireland ) had to remove 4 cheery blossom trees from our road as the trunks were rotten and damaged.

The council are open to suggestions regarding replacing them. Apart from cheery blossom what trees would be advantageous for bees.

I have a chance to meet with the Parks Department and would like to prepare a list of bee friendly trees that flower at different times of the year.

I would welcome any suggestions and general flowering times.

Amelenchier. Flowers in spring
Eucryphia xnymsensis, flowers in summer
Crab apple
Sorbus
Holly
For just a few

Well not sure what trees would be allowed as they are along the street or how big they would allow the the trees to grow.

But i guess here would be my picks

Early flowering tree
magnolia tree
Witch Hazel
Cherry trees

Summer
Tulip Tree

autumn
Strawberry tree

Sycamore trees for early flowering followed by some Lime trees and sweet chestnut.

Lime trees make good honey, it's a delicate light green, and the bees love it.
It's also good as it flowers in June-July, so can help cover the 'June gap'.

Lime trees make good honey, it's a delicate light green, and the bees love it.
It's also good as it flowers in June-July, so can help cover the 'June gap'.

But covers parked cars with sticky residue

E

My local council ( in Dublin, Ireland ) had to remove 4 cheery blossom trees from our road as the trunks were rotten and damaged.

The council are open to suggestions regarding replacing them. Apart from cheery blossom what trees would be advantageous for bees.

I have a chance to meet with the Parks Department and would like to prepare a list of bee friendly trees that flower at different times of the year.

Evodia Hupehensis, the bee bee tree?

My thanks to those who responded.

I will leave it open in case anyone else has further suggestions.

Lime trees are good, do well in cities, live long, respond well to pruning and tree surgery which will probably happen frequently,and are fairly disease resilient. Super for bees.

I planted one last year.
It has doubled in size but hasn’t flowered yet. I am hopeful.

As far as I know they will start flowering once five or six years old.

I have planted one near where my bees are a couple of months ago, so it'll be a while for me too.

Fantastic opportunity

Just google "trees for Bees". What about Sweet chestnut or Indian bean tree or False acacia.

In a previous life, I was a highway maintenance engineer and had all sorts of problems with inappropriate trees planted in urban streets. Do not recommend what are normally considered forest trees - they eventually outgrow their position and cause problems for foundations of older buildings. Cherries have many small surface roots that lift footway bituminous macadam or flagstones. Pretty for 2 weeks and providing feed for birds but are a menace for pedestrians.

Ideally you want trees that flower (for the bees) but which do not grow big or live too long and have roots that predominantly go downwards rather than outwards. The local authority should have arboriculturists who can recommend trees that meet those criteria that are suitable for your local climate.

CVB

Latest posts

Back