Tree identification please.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
I walked past this tree with earphones pushed into my ears listening to an audiobook but even so I heard so much buzzing that I looked up expecting to see a swarm. I don't think I have ever seen more honeybees working on a tree, even a lime. What is it? Every street should have one!

Attachments

• DSC04169s.jpg
    DSC04169s.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC04170s.jpg
    DSC04170s.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 60
The flowers certainly have two stigma, but the leaves in Viridens photo don't resemble at all the intermediate hybridised leaves as described in the very useful link. (Never heard of a Midland Hawthorn before)

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was probably some type of Hawthorn, but which one? The leaves are very different from normal or Midland Hawthorns, without lobes and very glossy, almost looking evergreen (see 2nd photo). I have done some Googling, but I haven't been able to identify it yet. Normal Hawthorn is almost over here, but none of the trees were as busy as this one.
Anyone?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I thought it was probably some type of Hawthorn, but which one? The leaves are very different from normal or Midland Hawthorns, without lobes and very glossy, almost looking evergreen (see 2nd photo). I have done some Googling, but I haven't been able to identify it yet. Normal Hawthorn is almost over here, but none of the trees were as busy as this one.
Anyone?
Give me five minutes to look in the shed at a plant label, I have a Hawthorn like this, the leaves are very glossy and not split.

Here you go,
Crataegus Lavallei Carrierei.
Brilliant. Yes, that's the one. Thanks.
The nursery description here also promises decorative haws, coloured foliage in autumn and other goodies. I'll look out for that now that I know it's there.
It looks like you made a good choice for your garden. The bees seem to think so too.

Judging by your photo it gets to a fair size. Description mentions the fruit and decorative Autumn foliage, grows to around twenty feet requiring no trimming. Sensible pruning required, I think ;)

It is a fair size, but that street was built in the early 80's so I would guess that the landscape trees date back to the same time, making that tree over 40 years old.

Latest posts

Back