Treating and Inspecting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Just another quick question. Sorry if it has been asked before.

We are treating our hives with Thymovar. Can you still do inspections whilst treating or should you wait until treatment has finished?

I would suggest that at this time of year weekly inspections are no longer required. Does thymovar need to renewed after 2 weeks similar to apiguard et al - do the inspection then??

To make sure they have enough stores, etc. Our first year so perhaps we are being a bit over cautious. By the way, not a full inspection, just a quick look to make sure all is ok.
Go on - now tell me how stupid I am. :(

OK thanks everyone. Will do just that.

Not stupid Lindylou, your first year and you're very keen that's all. Everyone says things like 'this time of year' but what year are they talking about? This year is hardly a normal year is it?
I've not treated mine and probably won't as varroa drop is minimal after other IPM during the year but since treatment is carried out after harvesting, you can generally leave them to it until that treatment is over, at which time you assess the situation with regards to needing feed etc.
A lot depends on location, I only removed supers this past weekend and the Balsam is still pouring in at a rate that could see another super or two before the real frosts bring an end to it.

To make sure they have enough stores, etc. Our first year so perhaps we are being a bit over cautious. By the way, not a full inspection, just a quick look to make sure all is ok.
Go on - now tell me how stupid I am. :(

You do need to check for level of stores, and I would suggest feeding them up for winter asap. They will need 40lb of stores going into winter.

You do need to check for level of stores, and I would suggest feeding them up for winter asap. They will need 40lb of stores going into winter.

Although I am still a newbie (only 4 years), I do not feed very heavily for another month or so, although you should judge this by your own microclimate (worth checking what your local experienced people are doing!). Most of my bees have started brooding again.

This year is the first I have fed them anything so early... I gave them 6 litres to get them through the meds.

My biggest hive never stopped and on still has 7 x 2/3 filled frames of brood on a 14x12 hive... also a huge amount of bees. (BI counted them as 15x national frames worth)

Fill up the brood space at your peril. I collected a good sized swarm last october! (and got them through winter!)

Two suggestions.
1/ See through cover board. So you can see what's happening with truly minimal disturbance and chilling.
2/ Calibrate yourself so that you can estimate the stores by feeling the weight of the hive. Even with a luggage scale, you need to sort out in your mind what any particular weight "looks like" as frames of stores. Starting now when you can open up and see the frames is a good time to familiarise yourself with "hefting".

i have not removed a frame from most of my hives since taking off the super in mid august

at that time i assessed the stores and hefted as well

all i do now is judge the variantion in wieght, the lighter ones or low store one got early syrup

the few i have inspected included one that went suddenly aggressive, but found to have a new laying queen and one that seemed to dwindle but tested negative for Nosema...turned out to be robbing

role on April 2013, and i can get back into inspections

{in mid august I} assessed the stores and hefted as well

all i do now is judge the variantion in wieght, the lighter ones or low store one got early syrup

Yes, its important for first year beeks to be able to judge the stores situation during the winter without having to open up.

I've fitted hooks (B&Q galvanised cleats) on each side of my wooden floors, to provide a nice attachment point for the luggage scale. OK, a couple of screws would have been cheaper ... but not so nice!
I now look forward to seeing how long they manage to continue building their stores. And how steadily (or otherwise) the stores get used up.

i have not removed a frame from most of my hives since taking off the super in mid august

at that time i assessed the stores and hefted as well

the few i have inspected included one that went suddenly aggressive, but found to have a new laying queen and one that seemed to dwindle but tested negative for Nosema...turned out to be robbing

role on April 2013, and i can get back into inspections
Simples hey.
Not so simple for newbies as we do not have enough experience yet! I probably have not made my last inspection. This week will be a bit chilly, but next week it is warming up again in my part of the world. Certainly no colder than spring when we all open up at 15C!

I too thought that my colonies had minimal mite drop...I hardly saw a single varroa through the season on the correx sheets and no macro signs of infestation in the hives.
Nevertheless i thought i had better treat.
I have been shocked at the mite drop in a couple of the hives.

I too thought that my colonies had minimal mite drop...I hardly saw a single varroa through the season on the correx sheets and no macro signs of infestation in the hives.
Nevertheless i thought i had better treat.
I have been shocked at the mite drop in a couple of the hives.

:iagree:

I stopped inspecting at the end of August - just treating & feeding now. In my book you can tell if they have enough stores

1. By whether they are taking syrup down. If they need it, they'll take it!! Ok philosphy until it gets too cold for them to remove the xs water (end Sept ish)
2. 'Heft the hive' ie see if you can left up the corner. I was once told by someone far older & wiser than me that the hive should feel like its nailed to the ground at this time of year!!!

Having a nose in the hive is always interesting ... I appreciate the temptation ... but I can't see that it will do the bees much good at this point in the season.

Back