Transfer Bees from WBC to 14x12 National Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodBromiley

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Will start spring 2015 with 2 Colonies
Hi, can I pick some brains. I will do my best to explain clearly. A friend collected a swarm a week ago and managed to get onto frames into a WBC hive. Queen is laying and workers doing their stuff. He has offered me the bees and we have transferred the frames into my 14x12 National brood. Obviously they are shallow frames in a deep box and the bees will therefore start to fill the void.
What is the smartest way of moving them onto deep National frames 14x12 , I want to make the move as cordial as is possible so to disrupt as little as I can what seems to be pleasant and active bees.
Ideas please and can you be patient as I'm fairly new.
Kindest Regards to you all.

Last edited:
How many frames have they drawn already? you could just exchange as many as possible with 14x12, leave them draw free comb down on the rest (no real harm - same as having a shallow frame in a standard deep setup for varroa control). then gradually work the standard frames put to the sides to be replaced when there's no brood in them

Last edited:
They have already drawn about 8 frames. We gauge about 20000 bees. They are really placid and working hard.

How many frames have they drawn already? you could just exchange as many as possible with 14x12, leave them draw free comb down on the rest (no real harm - same as having a shallow frame in a standard deep setup for varroa control). then gradually work the standard frames put to the sides to be replaced when there's no brood in them

Exactly what I did last year when moving 4 drawn frames of prime swarm bees from my bait hive into a 14 x 12. The frames of 14 x 12 were just foundation. The ladies simply drew comb out from the foundation, queenie proceeded to lay in the comb.
No hassle and the odd bit of wild comb built beneath the dn frames was drone which I culled as part of varroa control.

Thanks guys. It's always good to get advice off here even if it's fairly basic stuff I ask. Kindest Regards

They have already drawn about 8 frames. We gauge about 20000 bees. They are really placid and working hard.

I think you need to move quickly and transfer the frame(s) with queen, eggs/larvae ASAP. I'd not transfer a lot of empty comb or nectar only frames. Shake any stray bees into the new hive space. Arrange a 14 x 12 frame of foundation at each side of the transferred dn frames inside of a dummy board. Move the dummy board outwards progressively as the foundation is drawn and put into use rather than just expecting the bees to work on a full hive of foundation at one go.
Good luck with your new colony.

Hopefully we have a warm enough day Monday.

Latest posts

Back