Top Bar start

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
What's the best way to introduce a nucleus colony into a top bar hive?
Wld it matter which type/size of frame the nuc. arrived on?

Might it depend on the size of the TB?

I have a TB which I'm hoping to use this year and was hoping I could just shake a swarm in, and leave them to it.

It all depends on white size top bar/frame they are on and what size top bar you have in your TBH.

One method is the chop and crop:
http://vimeo.com/5614348

But if you think about it there are many solutions. Could place the box of bees over the top of your TBH with a suitable cut out ( to match the size of your TBH) in a crown board placed under the BB, and let them grow down , OR, put top bars from your TBH suitably attached to frame top bars into your BB and let them make their own comb, then transfer them on that, and so on.

Have a look at this site, as it might give you some ideas.

http://www.bio7bees.com/forum/index.php - remove the 7 after the bio

Last edited:
Thanks.
Yes shaking a swarm in will be the easiest and chop and crop looks OK too.

I've done chop and crop - easy IF you are WELL * organised.

Shaking swarms is of course much easier...

* think through every step and make a list of what you will need incl wire cutters..

Might it depend on the size of the TB?

I have a TB which I'm hoping to use this year and was hoping I could just shake a swarm in, and leave them to it.

Did exactly that with my first bees and it worked OK, fed to encourage comb building. Built up into a strong colony, until my fatal mistake!:blush5:(flipped HM into the long grass, a total loss) Good to be in an association that had spare queens! :)

I had a queenless TBH last year. A swarm which seemed to get off to a good start – building comb, eggs and brood - and then for some reason about 2 months later the queen vanished. I introduced some national brood frames by fixing them with elastic bands o the topbars – it seemed to work. It’s one way of introducing a nuc to a TBH

I've done chop and crop - easy IF you are WELL * organised.

Shaking swarms is of course much easier...

* think through every step and make a list of what you will need incl wire cutters..

Snap!

it's a two person job, and you need to be very organised indeed.

Latest posts

Back