Top Bar or Standard National

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I inspect the TBH I remove one of the empty bars then move them all back as I inspect, that way I'm never trying to fit the comb back through a narrow gap. I can see where the bees are and gently tease them back into the hive (very few leave the comb in any case). When I'm done It's a simple task to slide the whole lot back into place 4-5 bars at a time.

As for bee space to the sides of the comb, the angle of the hive sides coupled with lifting the comb straight up means the bees never come into contact with the walls.

They do tend to make some brace comb onto the hive walls during a good flow but it's easy to cut out of the way (tasty chewing gum, beeks treat:drool5:)
When I inspect 14x12s I remove a dummy board and proceed as you do . On replacing frames I ease them together but still maintain that the top bar of a conventional frame has less of a trapping area when easing frames back together !

John Wilkinson

TBH etc

When I inspect 14x12s I remove a dummy board and proceed as you do . On replacing frames I ease them together but still maintain that the top bar of a conventional frame has less of a trapping area when easing frames back together !

John Wilkinson

John
Of course your right there is a built in bee space with standard frames. I find if I tilt the top bar so the bottom of the comb is toward me and the leading edge of the bar touches the proceeding bar this give time for the bees to move out of the way before the bar is put to rest. I find this seems to work with few crushed bees. (I have to beware Rab is watching!:rolleyes:)
Regards
Little Leigh

Hmmn. Thanks for all your input

The vids i watched on utube gave me the impression the bees are no way as hostile when it come to inspections etc as you dont have to tear open thier nest so badly. Indeed the utube vids had folks opening up the TBH without any protective gear on. One even had his 3 young kids and the misses with him!!

The Honey aspect isnt so important to me, more the interest, goodness for the environment etc.

Ive already purchased an e b a y-special 2nd hand Standard National but i may put that to one side for a spare whilst i construct a TBH over winter.

All very interesting stuff!

bee-smillieIf you just want pollinators.... why not get a bumble bee kit?bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back