top bar hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeogi75

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 nationals
my first thread and m:)y first atempt at a top bar
pics to follow when know how to add attachments
pics in my album

Last edited:
welcome to the forum Yeogi, therec are a few on the forum who use top bar hives, so post away your questions

I would say you need to know what your doing to run a TBH.

Once you know what bees do then go TBH or you could end up in a mess. I've seen this before.

Having said that if you know what your doing go for it. :)

Oh and welcome :)

Probably the easiest hive there is to learn on - don't be put off by those who'll tell all sorts of untruths about them, usually from a position of ignorance.....

right on cue again bros!!!! i will be trying a TBH this season though so dont worry:cheers2:

i run many hives and trying a TBH this year, done nowt with it so they have enough stores for over wintering, will hope it over winters and then see next year. its a new mind set to get your head round, its fun to have a go at something different.

Probably the easiest hive there is to learn on - don't be put off by those who'll tell all sorts of untruths about them, usually from a position of ignorance.....

Don't get me wrong I will be running a couple of TBH next year.

Just going by what I have seen this year where people have tried TBH and come unstuck because they thought It would be easier than It was.

I run vertical foundation less hives myself.

Good luck and run with what you want. :chillpill:

I wish more people would approach them with an open mind - they have a lot going for them for the hobbyist, not least their simplicity, cheapness, and suitability for the handicapped and those with bad backs.

I wish more people would approach them with an open mind - they have a lot going for them for the hobbyist, not least their simplicity, cheapness, and suitability for the handicapped and those with bad backs.

And they winter just fine, provide some cut comb honey and bees for the bee improvement group project. Wintering a four foot, three three feet and two tbh nucs this year.

Yeogi75,

Got for it! I have TBHs exclusively but trained locally on nationals so I've some experience of both.

Don't be put off by negative comments and lots of sucking of air through teeth. In my experience they are a lot easier to handle than nationals and your bees (and you) will be happier for it.

They are also perfect for beginners, cheap, easy to make, no need for a barn full of "spares" and "equipment". My only purchases were a veil and smoker (which I've used about twice all summer).

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Bobster

thanks for the encoragement :) all, as a beginer do i go down the route of nearly a grande ,
or suck it and see, a bit of wood and paint free
main cost is bees and getting
them if its not for me
the diffrence of a bonefire and £150 the cost of bees a grands worth of national kit !!!!!!!!:)

Doubtless to the accompaniment of many groans (I have mentioned it before) - I ended up with 3 colonies of bees, 2 top bar hives, a Warre hive, and all the equipment for less than £150 in total -build your own hives, populate with swarms (tenner a time for petrol to the local swarm fella), secondhand smoker (little used, water spray is usually just as effective), white boiler suit, bee veil, nick some of 'er indoors' Marigolds, wear your wellies, stubby screwdriver as hive tool - job done!:cool:

hive tool thanks forgot that:cheers2: screwdriver on list thanks
i had thought of putting wax on top bars but keep reading that they can be infected so can i get away with no wax ?

Until you've got some of your own, get some wax from a good beekeeper and use that for "starter strips" - it's only a tiny amount, and I think it's essential to have them - I wouldn't worry about "infection" too much - there may be some slight chemical contamination, but probably best to be pragmatic to get yourself up and running

hive tool thanks forgot that screwdriver on list thanks

Nothing wrong with an old wood chisel from a car boot sale. Spreads the load a bit better than a 'drewscriver'.

RAB

thanks for the encoragement :) all, as a beginer do i go down the route of nearly a grande ,
or suck it and see, a bit of wood and paint free
main cost is bees and getting
them if its not for me
the diffrence of a bonefire and £150 the cost of bees a grands worth of national kit !!!!!!!!:)

Even if your local group thinks that TBHs are either hippy nonsense or the spawn of the devil, I'd strongly advise you to join, or at least get to know as many of the people as possible (they usually welcome visitors and may even have cheap 'Friend' membership).
You are almost bound to come across at least a few folk who are curious enough to be helpful ...

But going British Standard really need not cost £1000 to get started.
You could spend that, but you certainly don't have to.

But if you do decide to join a local association, do so with your eyes open as to some (to me) highly unpalatable facts - most local associations are affiliated to the BBKA - so your membership will mean another name and funds giving tacit support to that body - as others will affirm, for many years they accepted funding from agrochemical companies (and purely coincidentally dismissed any possible links between pesticides and the problems with bees), which they dropped last year following howls of protest - since when they have "pedalled on regardless" - rapidly "got into bed" with the pesticide trade body instead, and their "public affairs" wallah is to be seen schmoozing in Europe for his old buddies from Bayer....
There were no apologies, no resignations, and the old guard continues with it's old liaisons intact - I decided that "as a point of principle" I couldn't be associated with such an organisation until there was root and branch reform, the instigation of true democracy, and the expulsion of the "guilty parties"
I suspect it'll be when hell freezes over!

I know several will groan "not again" - newbies need to know what they're signing up for...........

Last edited:
But if you do decide to join a local association, do so with your eyes open as to some (to me) highly unpalatable facts - most local associations are affiliated to the BBKA - so your membership will mean another name and funds giving tacit support to that body - as others will affirm, for many years they accepted funding from agrochemical companies (and purely coincidentally dismissed any possible links between pesticides and the problems with bees), which they dropped last year following howls of protest - since when they have "pedalled on regardless" - rapidly "got into bed" with the pesticide trade body instead, and their "public affairs" wallah is to be seen schmoozing in Europe for his old buddies from Bayer....
There were no apologies, no resignations, and the old guard continues with it's old liaisons intact - I decided that "as a point of principle" I couldn't be associated with such an organisation until there was root and branch reform, the instigation of true democracy, and the expulsion of the "guilty parties"
I suspect it'll be when hell freezes over!

I know several will groan "not again" - newbies need to know what they're signing up for...........

Perhaps this has held back change at the bbka ;)

I joined my local BBKA before starting. Now have 5 x TBH and 2 x warre.

The Local BBKA were great: I learned a lot about handling bees/bee behaviour and things to do/not to do. A beekeeper with 60 years experience is always worth listening to.

My local Association are planning to visit my hives next year to see TBHs in action...

Latest posts

Back