Top 5 tools (power & manual)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd add to that pencils and electrical screwdrivers - I buy them by the dozen and I have just no idea where they go ...

Anyone remember the Humphreys ? I reckon there's some that spirit away all those things that disappear and then turn up where you NEVER left them ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOeL18BFc0o

I found one of my hammers this week sat in the crook of a truss in my workshop ... I can't remember putting it there but it must have been a handy resting place when I was putting the new roof on in the summer. If I hadn't been installing a ceiling fan I would never have found it.

OK ... I know - you are wondering why I need a ceiling fan in the middle of winter ... well, I've installed a micro woodburner and most of the heat goes up into the apex so the £5 off ebay ceiling fan going slowly in reverse sends the heat back down - works a treat !

Have a little read up on these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiKcx7ghtHk

OK ... I know - you are wondering why I need a ceiling fan in the middle of winter ... well, I've installed a micro woodburner and most of the heat goes up into the apex so the £5 off ebay ceiling fan going slowly in reverse sends the heat back down - works a treat !

Wow...that wood burner looks brill!!!
Stan needs one for his workshop
Where did you get it please?

I'm not 50 for a start but i have a lot more than 5 hammers more in the region of 25 ranging from a sledge hammer to a toffee hammer..

You won

I have 2 electrict nailers with which I assemble frames.
How many you have?

Just assembled 70 frames with my old tack hammer. I find it meditative. Friend on this forum tried to introduce me to plastic frames, but I like the aesthetics of wood. I do have two polyhives, but again I prefer wood.

Just assembled 70 frames with my old tack hammer. I find it meditative. Friend on this forum tried to introduce me to plastic frames, but I like the aesthetics of wood. I do have two polyhives, but again I prefer wood.
There is something about the smell of new wood that does it for me.

I promised to assemble 1500 frames to a friend and set up foundations.
Each frame has 10 nails. Wiring is slowest job.

To put together 100 frames and nail them with electrict, it takes 2 hours. But to put 4 wires... I did not knew how much it takes. Now I know.

Its the tricky bit nailing the foundation in at the bottom of the frame that im worried about!

Why/how do you nail foundation in at the bottom of the frame? I only do it at the top through thebit of wood, foundation, then into the top bar.

Against bottom bar the frame the foundation needs 10 mm gap, that it can expand in the heat of hive. If it cannot, comb will make a curve to the lover part.

Come on Finny. You still have 1500 frames to make, you will never get them done chatting on here. Would you make me up 1500 frames if I call you my friend you can come and visit when you have done them.........well it saves on postage [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Finman wrote:
Each frame has 10 nails. Wiring is slowest job.

Was just thinking how many nails I use per frame.
1. I get away with one nail to secure each Hoffman side bar to the top bar. I add a bit of glue which explains why I can get away with only one nail.
2. 3 nails to secure the wedge to hold the foundation
3. 4 nails to secure both bottom bars.

So 9 in total + glue
That could save you 1500 nails!
Time wise it's probably quicker to knock a nail in than add some glue.

Finman wrote:

Time wise it's probably quicker to knock a nail in than add some glue.

I take a handfull of side sticks and I put the glue. Then I push sticks together tens of frames on floor.

I let the glue dry up. Then it is quick to nail them with electrickt nailer.

Latest posts

Back