Tools

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any recommendation to kit they think is really good? I am spoilt by SOTA gear at father in law but way out of even my 'generous' budgets, he does all sort from massive replacement Church doors downwards..space is my concern really rather than budget. I am after flexibility but primarily bee related.

I think its like most things ,quality comes at a cost.The more you spend the better it gets.
Look at what you will need from the tools and then see what tools will do the job.

Anyone have any recommendation to kit they think is really good? I am spoilt by SOTA gear at father in law but way out of even my 'generous' budgets, he does all sort from massive replacement Church doors downwards..space is my concern really rather than budget. I am after flexibility but primarily bee related.

Hmmmm. State of the art is a many headed beast.

I too would love a proper workshop, with a big panel saw, a super heavy Wadkin table saw, a spindle moulder, loads of big tables and a big built in extractor. One day I will win the lottery (unlikely as I don't play it) and buy a massive workshop to house it all in. Space is the problem.

Given the space constraint, look at Festool. A plunge (say TS55) does everything a table saw can do, and with a 3m guide can do everything a panel saw can do. Add a set of parallel guides (FS-PA), and you can make the saw do whatever you want - small parts, big parts, angled parts, the lot. It all fits in a carryable box (OK the guide rail doesn't, but you pin that to the roof of your garage).

That is pretty much "SOTA" for sheet goods, and comprises a grands worth of kit.

You'd need a router as well for bee stuff. If you go down the Festool route, an OF1400 router + CMS side table + router lift + an MFT would be the killer combo - at about £2K all in. Again, all of that lot would fold into the space taken up by a large suitcase. It is designed to be taken on site by carpenters, so collapses to fit in the back of a van really quickly.

Massive over expenditure for a few hives, but if the requirement is "fits into a small space" and "will last forever" it is the right answer.

Best tool I bought for a long time is a Dewalt track saw. Absolutely superb for cutting plywood. You just measure and mark at each end and put the track down, then cut - No clamping , very accurate and no breakout.

a goodsized chopsaw with a laser.... thought the laser was a gimmick nope it really does save lots and lots of time.
A router table.
A table saw.

These work on cedar, plywood and PIR

Last edited:
Thanks all, had not considered a track saw, good idea.

derek

is it any good for polyurathane? or is that pir?

mark

Sorry guys. I forgot all about this thread. Thanks for help. I have access to a table saw but not a router. Do I really need a router? I'm still not sure what part of the hive needs routing

Back